CHAPTER IV

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"Mom? Mom?" I could hear Kyle's delicate attempts to wake me up.

Rubbing my eyes, I stretched and asked him, "What is it baby?"

"Mom, the doorbell's ringing," 

On the cue, the doorbell rang once again. Quickly getting up, I rushed to the door. Jordan was standing there with a big smile stretched on her face and two coffee cups resting in her hands.

On seeing me she commented, "Did you fight a World War III or what?"

I deadpanned, "Jeez, thanks best friend,"

She just grinned at me and came in. Kyle rushed in and went to hug her. Placing the coffee cups on the table, Jordan picked him up and tickled Kyle, as he laughed. I smiled seeing them, then suddenly yesterday's events came rushing to me. O Gosh! What was I to do now? Ace isn't the kind of person who would stop just by me ordering him, he would do anything when he doesn't get what he wants.

My thought process was broken when Kyle whispered to Jordan conspiratorially, "I found out who my dad was..."

Jordan, who was laughing, stopped suddenly and turned towards me slowly and asked, "What is he talking about Kath?"

I mouthed a 'later' to her and then said to Kyle, "Honey, your school would start soon, please go and get ready,"

He nodded and left the room without any tantrums. I love my kid.

Then turning to Jordan, I muttered, "Yes, I bumped into Ace yesterday."

"What!" she exclaimed, "How? When? Where?"

I looked at her warily and started narrating her the whole story. As I proceeded her expression turned from normal furious to I-am-gonna-kill-someone furious. Did I mention that she loathed Ace with passion? Well, she did. In spite of never meeting him, she hated the way he abandoned me and well...shattered my then hopes. In short, she hated the fact that he was the reason my life turned upside down. I don't really know how I would exist without her or Kyle.

***

Finishing the whole story, I excused myself to get ready while Jordan prepared the breakfast. Cooking is her hobby, so she literally begs me to let her make food. Again, she is an amazing friend.

After stripping down, I jumped into the shower. Letting the hot water soothe my nerves. I wonder what Ace will do. Whether he would let us be or will he interrupt my peaceful life again. As the hot water begun to get over, I draped a towel around me and exited the bathroom.

I slipped into my grey sweatshirt and black jeans. Then tying my black high top converses' laces, I exited my bedroom to see Jordan laughing with Kyle over something. 

Slipping into the dining chair, I asked, "What is so funny?"

Jordan just shook her head while Kyle continued eating. I shoved a spoonful of Froot loops into my mouth as Jordan filled a glass of orange juice for me.

I asked her, "How's the new job going?"

She grinned and replied dreamily, "It's just amazing! I get to learn so much..."

Jordan got a new job at L'Oreal Paris's main headquarters or something like that. I just know that, this was her dream since she started her make-up artist career. So proud of her.

I nod at her and glance at the clock. It's 7:45. I jump and say, "Hey, my shift's early today. I got to leave. Will you please drop Kyle to school on your way to work?"

She nods as I grab my purse and phone. Then kissing Kyle on forehead and waving Jordan, I hurry to find a cab.

*** 

"KATHERINE! TABLE NUMBER 12!" Madeline shouted at me, aggressively.

I swear to God, this lady hates me with passion. She finds the need to overwork only me and me, out of the whole other ten staff members she has. I pick up the note pad and rush to the table number twelve, "Have you decided, sir?"

The old aged guy, replies, "Yes, I have. I'll have two ginger muffins and a cup of coffee,"

I scribble the order on my pad. I look up to see the old man, staring at me boobs. Jeez, even old people these days are perverts. Trying to look unaffected, I hurry past him and give the order to the chef.

***

"Here's your this month's salary," Madeline hands me an envelope.

I open it and scrutinse the cheque. Seeing the amount, I sigh and say, "Madeline, I though you would increase my pay this time. We agreed upon it,"

Looking at me disgustingly, she says, "It's very much sufficent, Katherine. Now shoo! I have other things to take care of..."

I plead again, "But, listen I have a child, and my second job isn't doing that good...please?"

Looking at me, she replies sharply, "Well it's not my fault, you are a stupid enough and became pregnant at this age,"

I swallow the lump formed in my throat and exit the restaurant without another word. Madeline always uses this tactic to make me fall off her trail, and I always succumb to it...Well, because in a way she was right, I was stupid.

Making my way outside the restaurant, I see that the route which I usually take to Kyle's children centre is closed. Some construction work i going on there. I sigh and start walking towards the alleys, it's the only second way.

Seeing a few tramps looking at me, I quicken my pace. These kind of streets aren't safe ven during the daylight. I feel someone walking behind me. Turning behind, I see the old man that I served today, standing there grinning at me.

I smile uneasily and ask, "Do you need any help, sir?"

He shakes his head, instead walks towards me and comes closer. I gulp and move back, then making an attempt to turn and start on my way again. Key word: attempt. But, the old man grips me from my arms with surprising strength and asks, "Would you like to come with me dear, I could do all the wonders you could ever think  of on that beautiful body of yours..."

Instead of replying, I grip him by his arms and kick him in the balls. He releases me and clutches his balls and cries painfully. The next thing I do, turn on my heel and run. But two of those tramps catch up to me and one of them pounces on me. I fall on the ground, my knees graze the dirty floor. Blood pouring from them (my knees) and tears coming to my eyes, I see the three tramps standing in front of me and two behind me.

I curse silently and say as strongly as possible, "Come near me and I'll kill you,"

They just laugh at me as one of them comes really near to me. I punch him hard on his stomach (Ace taught me that, the night I was almost molested) and try to run the opposite way. But the others trap me. 

Surrounded by them, I search a way to escape. But realisation dawns on me, there isn't any.

As soon as one of them comes near me and touches me on my stomach, a hard and menacing voice says piercingly, "You know, you should really listen to the lady,"

Ace.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT'S SHITTY, I KNOW.

JORDAN KELLEN : BLAKE LIVELY