CHAPTER XXXIII

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"Listen Kyle," I turn his chin gently to face me, "You will not trouble Mr and Mrs. James..."

I wait for his reply as he ties the laces of his shoes. Finishing it, he answers me, "Yes, mom I won't,"

"And-"

"And no pillow fights, no food fights, eating nicely and properly, being in my best behaviour, answering with a smi-" he said ponderously. 

"Okay, okay," I interrupted him. 

"You know that we are going to at least have a pillow fight, right?" he asked me smugly.

"I know," I replied sighing and putting the key in Jordan's car.

After a few minutes of driving, Kyle asks me nervously, "So you going to see dad tonight?"

"I hope so," I mutter and look over to see the street number. This is no. 7 and the James lives on street 9.

"And the other woman is going to be with him?" he asks again in the same uncertain voice.

"Yes," I reply in a quiet voice. To be honest, I think I am making a big mistake going to this party today. Ace and Kendall both are going to be there and I do not know what to expect of them. I just hope that I do not make a fool out of myself there.

"Mom?" Kyle interrupts my reverie.

"Yeah?" I give him a questioning glance.

"We are here," he says. I stop the car near the side walk and walk him up to their house. Before ringing the bell, I remind him again, "Kyle..."

"I know, I know," he answers monotonously. 

I sigh and ring the bell. Greeted by Mrs. James, mother of Kyle's friend and my old colleague, I hug her tightly. 

"Thank you for taking care of him for the night," I tell her thankfully.

"C'mon Kathy...I can do at least this for you," she answers, the wide smile never dropping from her face.

I thank her again and then hug Kyle. Whispering, 'I love you' in his ear, I kiss his forehead.

"Mom!" he complains and rubs the spot where I kissed him adorably. Kyle is going to stay with them for the night, it's better than leaving him

"Fine," I chuckle and then wave good bye to him, Lisa (Mrs. James) and her son, Nate.  Now this where the real work and storm begins.

***

"No!" I try to remove the glitter studded brush away from my face. "Jordan!" I complain, "You know I do not like anything glittery!"

Jordan pouted at me but then assented to my request. Veronica came from inside the bathroom with curlers on her hair and frowned at me. She tsked at me and asked, "Woman, you are going to be on spotlight for Ace...can't you manage with a few glitter?"

"No," I answered her defiantly.

Well, it seems to me that Veronica, though maybe a CEO of a million dollar earning firm but she is strictly against having make up artists at her home. First, she doesn't like make up on her face she may have a hundred colours on her hair but on her face? No, absolutely not.

Keeping her make up minimal, she has the audacity to question me about not having layers of glitter bombarded on my face. 

"I can tell why you do not like attending events like this," I mutter to Veronica as Jordan brushes the blush on my face.

"They are too stressful," she replies while reclining on the sofa comfortably.

"Hey!" Jordan throws a brush at her sister.

"What?" she asks ponderously, catching the brush mid-air.

Jordan rolls her eyes and commands Veronica, "Go and get ready, sissy,"

Veronica mutters a few profanities, spanks Jordan and gets her dress.

There is no doubt that they both are sisters.

***

After fighting with Jordan for about half an hour, I finally eased my feet into the heels.

"They are too long!" I whine at her.

"No, they are not," she replies as if it's not a big deal.

"Look," Jordan looks at me threateningly, "either you get in the heels without any objections or-"

"Fine, fine," I sigh.

***

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT YOU WOULD NOT BE COMING WITH US!" I bellowed and smacked Jordan on her head.

"Because it was an insignificant bit of information," Jordan mumbled apologetically and rubbed where I had hit her.

"BUT YOU CANNOT JUST ABANDON ME!" I cried again and showed her fake tears dropping from my eyes.

"Veronica is going with you, Kathy," Jordan said calmly and quickly snatched all the brushes out of my reach.

Flailing my arms, I tried to get her to understand my point, "VERONICA WOULD NOT BE WITH ME IN THE PARTY THE WHOLE TIME!" 

"She is right," Veronica interrupted our bickering calmly with a chocolate cookie in her hand, "I would be with the investors of mine,"

"You are not helping Ver!" I cried and threw my spare shoe on her.

She dodged it again and flashed me her wide smile. Still ain't helping bitches!

"I told you she would make a big deal of this," Jordan mumbled to her sister.

"You should have made her understand," Veronica answered nibbling on the cookie.

"Hello?" I waved my arms in front of them, "I am still here?"

"No we are just going to ignore you," They both answered at the same time.

"Way to be mean, guys!" I whined and pouted my lips. Crossing my arms on my chest, I reclined on the sofa. Jordan has to complete some last minute reports that she has to submit tomorrow. Nothing can stop her from not doing it, not even food. 

I opened my mouth to say something but Veronica's phone ringed at the same time.

Clamping my mouth shut, I let her answer it while from the corner of my eye, I could see Jordan looking at me pleadingly.

"The cars are here," Ver said quietly.

I still have a chance: either to stay here or to go to my doom.

"Come on Katherine," Veronica commanded me. 

Nah! Kidding, I have no choices.

Jordan, out of nowhere comes and hugs me tightly. She whispers in my ear, "Go Kathy. You can do this..."

Jees, Jords. I am not going to a war.

Kidding again, I am.

Stepping up, I walk quietly towards Jordan and smack her on the head. Then quickly kissing her on the cheek, I rush out the door.

My doom, here I come.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WE ARE MOVING TOWARDS THE END OF THE STORY.

I GUESS THREE OR FOUR PARTS ARE LEFT.