CHAPTER XX

KATHERINE EVY JONES

Something was buzzing.

"Buzzzz...."

Oh wait, it's my phone. I reach for my phone below my pillow and turn it on snooze. After I think about one minute later it buzzes again. I let out a gargled scream and open my eyes to switch off my phone until I see it's not the alarm. It's Jordan calling, her face popping on my screen.

I quickly pick it up. "Hi Jordan," I mutter, rubbing my eyes. There's no sign of Ace in the room, I note. The shower is on inside, so I guess he must be in it.

"Hi sweety" she replies sweetly. Something is wrong! She never says anything so sweetly when it comes to talking to me... I wonder what is up with her.

Then after a few seconds, I hear her say, "Hello, Miss Gilchrist,"

"You wanna talk to me or her?" I ask, sleep not leaving my eyes.

She doesn't answer for a few moments, only the click-clack of her heels is what I hear. 

AND THEN... SHE DROPS THE BOMB!?!??!

Her voice screeches through the phone, "KATHERINE FUCKING EVY JONES!"

"That's me," I mumble sarcastically, trust me I've got used to facing her wrath.

"That's me?" she asks incredulously,  "THAT'S ALL YOU HAVE GOT TO SAY TO YOUR BEST FRIEND!? YOU HAVEN'T ME CALLED IN LIKE TWO DAYS BITCH!? THE LONGEST WE'VE BEEN FROM HEARING EACH OTHER'S VOICE IS LIKE THIRTY MINUTES!" she exaggerates, "AND EVEN THAT WAS LIKE LIVING WITH HELL, WITH HUMANS!"

"Oh really!?" I ask with fake astonishment, "It must be terribly bad to live with humans , right?"

"Stop making fun of me," She grumbled. Then sighing, she said again, "I am done, now,"

I stop playing with the ends of my hair and this time with real astonishment ask, "You are done?"

"Yeah," she replies after sighing again.

"Hold up, lady," I say disbelievingly, "Look, there are two ways how your anger is so easily vaporised, A. You are not really Jordan, an impostor or B. You found a guy,"

She doesn't answer. Crying, I continue, "You found a guy didn't you! Come on-"

"We are not really anything yet," she interrupts me.

"Well," I say in a teasing voice and continue like a hyper girly teenager, "Who is he? Is he hot? Scratch that, is he-"

"His name is Arran Collins, British, 5 foot 8 inches, extremely hot and sexy, works in Louis Vuitton, favourite food Shepard's Pie and-"

"Woah Woah Woah," Chuckling, I say, "WOW! You are really into this guy aren't you?"

"Yeah," she answers dreamily but there's a tinge of sadness in her voice.

"Why the sadness?" I ask.

"He's been in a disastrous relationship a few months ago, so girlfriends are like a no-no to him currently,"

"Oh!" I murmur sadly, but in hopes of setting up a light mood, I continue, "But, all things happen in good time, Jordan...Give him some time, till then try to help him cope up..."

"Yeah..."she drawls on uncertainly, "What about you huh?"

"Things have been...impromptu and sudden," I choose my words carefully.

"And?"

"Er-" The bathroom door opens and I instantly clamp my mouth shut. Ace is standing on the door, a towel draped lowly around his waist... too lowly that can even send a hater's mind overdrive...