CHAPTER XXXV

KATHERINE EVY JONES

Breath is knocked out of me as I hear his reply.

"I love you"

Tears come to the corner of my eyes but thankfully they do not fall. I look at him and ask, "Really?"

Ace raises one of his eyebrow and asks, "You think I am lying?"

"It's not that," I reply shaking my head and look at out feet again. 

"Hey," he says and then kisses me gently. But this time, something is different, something is more...full. After this, he looks at me gravely and kisses me again but more passionately. 

Truth to be told, it clears all my doubts.

***

"Come on, how the hell is Lord of the Rings better!" I cry out loud and smack Ace on the shoulder lightly.

We are eating snack, snacks as in pepsi, coke and popcorn and somehow the topic of favourite movie series came up. Turns out Ace loves Lord of the Rings...I am wondering how this guy is human.

"Woman! I just said that I think Lord of the Rings is a better series than Harry Potter, it doesn't mean that I dislike Harry Potter," he defends himself.

I pout and tell him, "Still, Lord of the Rings is nowhere near Harry Potter,"

"You are living a lie, Katherine," Ace mocks me with a smirk on his face.

"I-" I retort but his phone starts ringing. He ignores it for the first time but it keeps ringing for the second time and the third. 

The fourth time, I fish the phone out of his pocket and order him, "Pick it up!"

"No, ignore it. So you were saying?" He gazes at me.

"Pick it up, Ace,"I sigh and stare at the phone ringing again.

He sighs and picks it up, "Yes mom?...No, not till the party...I don't know...Now?...Fine,"

He disconnects the call and tells me, "Mom is saying that she cannot locate Kendall or the girl with whom you came, Veronica,"

"That's odd," I frown and ask, "What did your mom say about it?"

"She is calling us both to help us find them," he replies distressed and then apologises, "Hey, I am sorry..."

"No, it's all right," I reply smiling slightly.

***

"Where are you, Ver?" I mutter as I dial her number on my mobile phone.

It goes straight to her voice mail. "Hey it's Veronica! Fuck off!" she chirps.

Seriously, I am rather surprised how she manages to attract clients like this. Sighing, I again look over the hall, I spot Cassandra and Richard frantically searching through the whole crowd downstairs. 

Cass catches my eye. I mouth, "Anything?"

She shakes her head and then resumes searching.

"Goddamit!" I mutter and then shake my head. Where the hell could those two be, the last time I saw them, they both were involved in some heated glare session. Did they know each other through some contacts? Or maybe they knew each other really well...

But that's not possible, Veronica knew Ace through some business deals, surely she must have known about his engagement too.

Argh! This is irritating as fuck.

"Hey, Kathy?" Ace sneaks up behind me, "Anything from them?"

I open my mouth to answer but he beats me to it, "Never mind, the look you just gave me verifies that it's nothing,"

"Did you check the closeted area?" I ask, completely ignoring his comment.

He frowns and answers thoughtfully, "No as a matter of fact, I didn't..."

"Then let's go," I mutter. Picking up the ruffles of my gown, we go to the next floor, through stairs. STAIRS!? My heels are like killing my legs and then these stairs! Can this night get any more worse!?

Huh!?

***

When we reach the last floor of the Kingman mansion, I collapse and whisper- cry, "I AM NEVER EVER WEARING HEELS AGAIN!"

Ace sighs and picks me up gently. Then taking the heels of my feet, he massages them. After a few moments of relaxation, he asks, "You now okay to walk?"

"Yep," I reply and make my way towards the enormous closet door.

Breaths heave inside the closet and...is that the Veronica's voice!?

Ace opens the door in slow motion and lo! Here they are:

Arm in arms, kissing each other (sloppily, but that isn't required...for now), hair messed up and half-naked. 

Here they are.

Veronica and Kendall. 

I hope we have reached the maximum limit of 'the-worst-night-of-my-life' because I am not sure...that I will be able to handle any more surprises.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS WAS A FILLER CHAPTER...JUST SAYING.