CHAPTER XXVII

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"No a little more, here...mhmmm," Jordan applied the mascara on my eyelashes. She has literally coated it like three times and is still not satisfied with it.

"Are you done?" I whined. She has me up one hour early so that I can look 'acceptable' yet 'sexy'. 

"Jordan," I complained again, "I am going to the freaking office not a fashion show,"

She stopped applying the mascara and leaned back. Then with a smirk she answered, "But you are going to his office, babe. You gotta look b-e-a-utiful."

After five more dreadful minutes, she steps aside and lets me see the 'new' me.

Now I am impressed. Like really motherfucking impressed. The woman sitting in front of the mirror could not be me. She kept the foundation and all minimal and the lip gloss colour was light pink. But the mascara and the thing she did to my eyes, though! It is just amazing...simple yet amazing.

I look at her, awestruck and say, "Jordan... you are a goddess, woman!"

"I know," she replied smugly. She knew I will love it.

"Thank you," I mutter and open the hair tie, my hair fall in waves till my back. Today, I look extremely different. I wonder what Ace's reaction will be.

Mentally face palming, I reprimand myself, C'mon Katherine! Stop thinking about him!?

Jordan pulls me out of my reverie by tapping my shoulder, "I will drop Kyle to school on my way to work,"

"You sure?" I ask concerned. She nods and then busies herself with stuffing all the makeup in the box.

"Play hard to get," She says evilly. Then throwing her hair behind her, she leaves the room.

I look at my 'new' self in the mirror again. Play hard to get, huh? I smirk and whisper to myself, "It can't be all that difficult?"

***

It is so motherfucking hard.

Walking in these high heels may be the most extreme and strenuous thing I have ever done in my life. I mean, though mine are not that high but still!? I am like tripping every now and then. 

"Calm," I whisper, "Calm, Katherine...you can do this,"

Then taking a step forward...I trip...but this time, onto someone. My hands flail around as I am unable to balance myself. Instinctively, I wrap my arms around me to brace myself for the impact. But I do not fall, actually I do...but not on the ground instead in someone's arms.

My face is buried in this person's chest...but the striking thing that hits me is the scent. His scent is familiar...oh so very familiar...It's Ace's.

*** 

I take a step back immediately and without looking in his eyes, apologise, "I am so sorry, sir,"

Then turning on my heels, I prepare to leave. But his hands hold me back. I turn around and finally look up to him uncertainly. 

Fury ignites inside me as I remember his lies and the sleepless nights I had because of him. The torment I had to undergo because of him, again. 

In a glassy tone, I order him, "Leave me,"

His face is just...broken. The liveliness in his eyes is gone and is instead replaced with a frown of annoyance. Standing tense and taut, he looks tired and pallid and ghastly. Hair not brushed,  bags under his eyes.

I instantly regret saying it, his brows furrow and a look of hurt flashes on his face. But, he leaves me. 

I look at him with an uncertain expression. I could just walk away...

"You alright?" I ask, touching his face.

He looks at me as a tear drops from his eye, and answers, "No...I-I-I-"

"Ace..." I whisper and shake my head. Ugh! Why the hell am I being so soft on him!

All I have to do is say something bad to him, turn around and walk in the office. That is what I can do...but not what I want to do...

I grab his hand and hail for a taxi. Luckily, we find one waiting round the corner. I rush to it and drag Ace with me. Getting inside, I tell the driver Jordan's address. The whole ride to her house is full of silence. I do not look at him but I know he is staring at me. He doesn't speak nor does he leave my hand.

I wonder what the hell am I doing.

***

Opening the door with the spare key Jordan had given me, I tell him to get inside. He follows me, wordlessly. I sigh and get out of the stilettos happily. Ah! Bliss.

Resting my aching feet on the couch, I motion him to sit. He sits, again without speaking anything. I stare at him, wondering whether he is ever going to say something or not. Moments pass, when he finally whispers, "Why?"

Frowning, I ask, "Why what?"

He gulps and speaks with a pained face, "Why are you talking to me?"

"You... do not want me to talk to you?"I ask him uncertainly.

"No, that is not what I meant," he shakes his head and continues, "After what all I did...to you...you are still talking to me...nicely...instead you should just keep away from me..."

"Well..." I reply casually, "I can push you away if I had ever wanted to, Kingman,"

"Then why don't you?"

WOW, he is blunt. "I do not know why...maybe I do not want to..." I carry on hesitantly.

With a little more power in his voice, he says, "You really do hate me now, Katherine...and the bad thing is that I deserve every ounce of it. I have wronged you so many times, Kathy...let you go each and every time...just because I was too afraid to let you slip between my fingers...No matter how many times I apologise, it's never going to be enough...ever,"

I do not know what to say, "Is this only what you have to say?" I ask him, "Tell me, Ace... why did you lie to me?"

I know I am being too bitchy, but he doesn't seem to complain. He is just enduring it... as if he deserves it...which I do not know why but I believe he doesn't.

"It's a long explanation, Kathy," he smiles and two more tears drop from his eyes. They slide off his cheek, leaving their watery traces behind. 

"It's not as if we are running short of time," I reply, adding a steely tinge in my voice.

"True," he replies.  Wrapping his arms around himself, as is supporting him, he opens his mouth to let out the truth.

I still can't believe what I am doing.

But I know that whatever I am, it's right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANKS FOR READING!