CHAPTER XVI

KATHERINE EVY JONES

I watch aghast as I see Ace, furious standing at the door and Kyle standing behind him. I motion him(Kyle) to come to me. He quickly struts towards me and looks at me and then Ace, fearfully. I whisper in his ear, "Go to your room and lock the door,"

He nods at me and rushes inside his room. I have a bad feeling that this isn't going to end well. 

Ace walks inside and stands in front of Mr. Goode, who is still reclining comfortably on the sofa with his legs on top of the table. There is something in his presence that forces Mr. Goode to keep his legs down and then stand up, face to face with Ace.

"So, what were you saying again to her?" he sneers at Mr. Goode.

Mr. Goode, crosses his arms on his chest defiantly and then says with equal venom, "I am telling her to clear off this flat,"

"On such a short notice?"

Mr. Goode shrugs and replies, "I do not care where the little piece of shit goes,"

I feel like killing him right at this moment. 

Ace clicks his tongue disdainfully and replies in a cold voice, "Mr. Goode let's make something clear here, A. She is not a little piece of shit B. If you talk to her like this again then I will strip you of all your future incomes and make sure you come to the roads and C. She is clearing up from here anyways,"

"I am?" 

"She is?"

Mr. Goode and I look at Ace incredulously. 

"Yes," he says firmly, to both of us. 

Mr. Goode regains his wits faster than me and asks, "And who the hell are you to speak for her?"

"It doesn't concern you, Logan," Ace replies in a stone cold voice.

"How do you know my name?" Mr. Goode voices my unspoken question.

Ace shrugs and then takes out a cheque book. "What are you doing?" I ask him dubiously. 

"Signing a cheque," he mutters and writes the amount on the cheque. I stop him and say, "Ace you aren't paying my rent!"

"Consider this as a part of my apologies for abandoning you," he looks into my eyes gravely. I try to persuade him to leave this, but he mutters, "Come on, Katherine. You know no power on earth would be able to prevent me from doing this..."

I stare at him, trying to maintain my stringent stance, but he just smiles at me and then hands over the cheque to Mr. Goode. I turn to him and say, "Goode, you can't accept this!"

"I want my rent," he mumbles and then surveys his cheque. Then looking at Ace's signature, he is momentarily shaken. He looks at Ace, horrifyingly and then says with visible surprise, "Mr. Kingman?"

He is shaking as Ace nods his head resolutely. Then Mr. Goode speaks with utmost reverence and apology, "Mr. Kingman, forgive me for speaking to you like-"

"Clear up, Goode," Ace interrupts him in a stone cold voice, "before I keep up to my promise,"

Mr. Goode instantly turns around and makes his leave. But before leaving, he turns and looks at me sardonically, "Poor oblivious child,"

Then turning around he literally runs back. I look at Ace with a confused expression, wondering what this was about. Ace is looking after him with sharp look. I lay my hand on his arm and ask, "You do still track me, right?"

He smiles at me apologetically. 

I shake my head and then say, "Ace, I want to thank you for saving me and reprimand you for tracking me up-"

"Now we are even," he retorts.

I sigh and reply, "I guess we are. But are me and Kyle going to live?"

He looks at me strangely and says, "I thought you were smarter than this Katherine,"

I glare at him and then wonder aloud, "Really, we can't afford a hotel, maybe I can go to an agency and-"

Ace grabs me by my sides and shakes me, "Katherine, you are going to live with me, in my house..."

***

"Not fucking happening!" I lunge at him.

He sits calmly and sips the coffee from his cup as I throw insults at him and protest against his decision.

"You didn't even ask me!"

"For what?" he mutters with confusion.

I look at him disbelievingly, "If I wanted to live with you!"

"Kyle would," he retorted.

I shut up. I would do anything for Kyle's good and Ace very well knows this. But, he is using this against me. This isn't freaking fair!

On the cue, Kyle peers out of his room. On seeing no sign of Mr. Goode, I presume, he runs out and hugs Ace. Then he kisses my cheek and sips coffee from my cup.

Ace looks at me evilly and then asks Kyle in a loud innocent voice, "Kyle, would you want to live with daddy?"

Kyle's eyes light up at this statement and then he claps his hands and cries, "YES! OH MY GOD, YES!"

I glare daggers at Ace. Hmpf! Betrayal is a bitch.

"See Katherine," Ace motions to me innocently, "Even Kyle wants to..."

Kyle looks at me with pleading eyes and then cries, "Mum, we can can we? Please, please, please...."

I look at Kyle's face full of request and enthusiasm and then at Ace, young and with request as well. Both, very much alike.

I sigh and then mutter in a small voice, "Fine!"

"Yas!" they both shout and throw their hands in the air.

"But," I continue glaringly at both of their happy faces, "Only till the time we don't find a new house,"

They both nod and then Ace gets up Kyle in the air, who squeals happily and then orders, "Higher! Higher!"

I look at them with conflicting emotions. There's no way I am getting out of this, thanks to Ace. Note the fucking sarcasm.

Ace jogs up to me and then says cynically, "Relax Katherine. It's not like you'll fall for me again, so soon at least."

That's what I fear.

"Though I do aim at that," he continues gravely, "Because remember, you are my mission."

Oh God. Help me!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  SHORT? I be knowin'. 

BUT HOW WAS IT ANYWAYS, me READERS? LET ME be knowin' IN ye COMMENTS AND VOTES! 

'til th' NEXT CHAPTER!