Chapter Two

Home, you'd think it would be peaceful but it's not. Home is the people inside. Home is what your loved ones make you feel. The only reason I even know the meaning is because of Tobias. Mother died when I was three. And Marcus is blaming me for her death. I never wanted anyone too die because of me. I wanted everything to be peaceful and happy. I wanted mother alive, and father to be nice. I wanted to be a family. Maybe then I will truly understand the meaning of the word 'home' but right now, I have no idea what it is. I have a feeling that 'home' would find me. Or maybe I'd find it. I want it to come. I want the feeling to be welcoming.

I can't wait for that time to come.

Until then, my 'home' in Abnegation will just be a house of torn memories.

All these thoughts swirl in my head filling me with hope. Hope of nothing more then a family. Something Tobias and I really need. I know Tobias will get everything he wants in Dauntless.

Or, at least, I hope he does.

I near closer to my Abenagation house. It's grey and plain. It resembles every other house that exists in this faction. I look like every other Abenagation girl that has dark brown hair. No one sees it's beautiful ringlets of curls, that I desperately want everyone to see. That Tobias tells me there as soft as silk. He would know. He almost every night, helps me to sleep with stories. I can replay them in my head.

"So she decided to climb. She wanted to see so much more than what her parents would let her. She climbed to the top of her house. And she saw it. Her city. Her beautiful, shining city, with a sunset that will be in her mind the rest of her life. She loved every moment, and took it all in." Tobias says, kindly. His eyes glisten with unshed tears.
"Tobias why are you going to cry? Do your burns sting?" I ask, obviously concerned.

Tobias got burned that day. I was eight, he eleven. He cared about me so much and Marcus came home in a very foul mood. I seemed to have gotten in the way.

"Father what it wrong? Is everything okay? I managed to squeak. Marcus turned to me. His eyes flaming with hatred and anger. I was terrified. I couldn't move.
"Get lost child. Before I do something you deserve." Marcus spits the words. The words are posion and they sting like salt in an open wound. Marcus stares at me.
He walks into the kitchen, and grabs a butter knife. He turns on the stove and heats it.
I didn't understand what he was going to do.

But Tobias understood. He knew Marcus meant harm.

And Tobias got hurt because of it.

Because of me.

I shudder at those memories. I take deep, calming breaths. I don't want to deal with Marcus anymore. I want to be Dauntless. I want to be sixteen. I want a better life for Tobias and I. A life that we both deserve.

I look around at my surroundings. I notice a couple of my neighbors sitting on their porch. I wave. They wave back.

I look at the house next to it. My house. Tobias' house. But definitely not for long. I step up to the porch and grab the spare key from under the mat by the front door. Tobias and I agreed that it would be better if I used this key then to knock on the door and risk getting hurt. I unlock the door, and slide the key back under the mat. I step in the house and lock the door behind me. I start to feel hysterical. It's quiet. The unusual, menacing, quiet.
"Tobias? Tobias are you here?" I call out pleading for him to hear me.

No answer.

"Tobias please answer I'm getting scared," I'm begging. Maybe I don't belong in Dauntless. Maybe I'm too weak. After all, I'm twelve but still ask for stories.

Still no answer.

The quiet stretches on and I feel nauseated. I hate being alone. Every time I'm alone I get hurt. Every time I'm alone I start to think that everything is my fault.

And it haunts me. It tortures me and doesn't stop.

The quiet, is deathly.

I hear the stairs creak from upstairs. Marcus can't be home, he couldn't have hurt his own son so much to where he'll be unconscious.

Can he? Would Marcus do it?

"Hey Roses. I'm sorry I didn't hear you the first time."

Tobias. He's okay. He's safe. Thank goodness.
I run up to Tobias and I hug him tightly.
"I did it Tobias. I can't believe I actually made friends. Not only one but two. Troyer agreed to come along as well." I grin so wide my face feels stiff.
"That's good. So I'll prepare your wedding with Troyer then?" Tobias asks. At first I begin to nod, but I freeze when I replay what he says in my head. Wedding with Troyer. Getting married. Nuh-uh.

"Tobias please be quiet." I yell blushing wildly.

Tobias erupts into laughter.
That's when I noticed what he was wearing. A grey T-shirt. Showing his arms. His scars from the knives Marcus had had used. They show like highlights. Tobias catches me staring and hooks his index finger underneath my chin.
"Hey, it's okay. I promise you. Their just old memories, they don't hurt." Tobias says, reassuringly. I frown. "Okay. If you say so."
Tobias nods his head and grabs a grey jacket. Pulling it, on he heads to the kitchen.
"Now let's make dinner. Shall we, Roses?"
Before I can say anything we hear a deep mean voice. A voice that's all too familiar.

"Whose Roses?"

~~~

Soooooo ..... haaa...... hey guys 😁 miss me? I'm back yay xD

Please feel free to vote and comment, I write for my fans (though not many people read this) and i would really appreciate if you could support:D

To all my silent readers: thank you so much for reading!