Chapter Twenty-Six

Luan (12 years old)

Luan (12 years old)

************************************

Rosemary Eaton

I freeze when I hear the footsteps stop behind us in the kitchen. I slowly pour a little of the eggs into the plate, and turn around. I gasp at the sight of our father. Marcus looks terrible. And he reeks of the alcoholic smell. Marcus's hair is disheveled and he still didn't change into his business clothes. Marcus looks at me with a snarl.
"You," Marcus points at me, "listen carefully. If your stupid friends tell anyone about what I do then last night will repeat. Do you hear?" I quickly nod.

"Good." Marcus snarls. He steps up to me in three strides, and I see Tobias tense immediately. Marcus knocks the plate out of my grasp. It falls to the floor with a loud clank. I scream and jump back, ramming into the stove. I groan. Marcus sneers. "Your the one who jumped back," he spits. Marcus turns on his heels, and heads upstairs. He stops in the living room.
"When I come back down, I want to see the kitchen floor spotless, and I want you and your rotten brother out the door. And Rosemary, this is for you and your brothers own good. Tonight Andrew Prior and Natalie Prior are coming over with their children. Along with Mr. Aiden Edmond and his wife and children. I want your best behavior since it would be.......... Suspicious if you both aren't there." Marcus said.

For your own good.

I shudder and slowly drop to my knees. Tears threaten to spill but I don't let them. Tobias comes to me, careful not to step on the plate and eggs. Marcus's words linger in my mind. They swirl.

For your own good.

Is it really? What did Tobias and I do? Tobias places a hand on my back. He slowly pulls me into a hug. My back aches because of the force of the stove handle, and I whimper pathetically. We hear light steps and I look up to see Tyler and Luan step carefully into the kitchen.

I look up, tears now spilling onto my cheeks. The plate shards dig into my knees, which are probably going to bleed, but I don't care. All I can think about it what Marcus said.

For your own good.......

This is not. Whatever Marcus calls torturing his children, it's not for their own good. It's for his.

"I'll help clean the shards. But not with your fingers, Rosemary, you will get cut." Luan warns. I nod my head, and Tobias slowly gets up, pulling me up as well. I suck in a sharp breath. This will be a long day.

Tyler slowly walks to Tobias, giving him an alarmed look. "Let's skip breakfast. The table is already set for Marcus. If he doesn't want to eat with his own kids then he won't." Tyler said, defensively. Tobias nods his head. I brush the shards of the plate away from the dress and look down at the sweatpants I wore underneath. I snarl, suddenly angry. I'm done with being pushed around by my own father.