Chapter Three

Warning: skip chapter if you don't like abuse.

~~~

"Whose Roses?" Marcus asks, with obvious distaste. Oh no, no no no. Not Marcus please not Marcus.
"It's a nickname for Rosemary. Isn't it?" Marcus claims. Well, now I know why he isn't Erudite, it's a pretty good reason too.
Marcus looks from Tobias to me.

"Nicknames are for the selfish. It is prohibited in Abenagation."
Marcus' brilliance is definitely showing. Thanks dad I knew this information already. Marcus starts walking towards me. I see Tobias at the corner of my eye. He's standing wide eyed and obviously afraid for me. Why is he so unselfish?

I look back at Marcus and instantly wish I hadn't. Marcus' eyes were filled with disgust and I can practically feel his rage. Marcus raises his hand, and slaps me across my cheek. Hard. My hand flies up to my cheek and I rub it absent minded. I will not let him get to me. This time, I'll take the hits.

I will protect Tobias. He will not be hurt again because of my doing. Though, this time, I don't understand what I did wrong.
My focus draws back to my throbbing cheek. It hurts. Marcus grabs me by the shoulders and slams me against the wall, knocking the air out of me. I gasp and cry out. I sink to the ground tears streaming down my face. Marcus brings up his leg and slams down on my stomach. I shriek.
So loudly that it sounds foreign. Almost like it doesn't belong to me.

He does it again and again relentlessly. And I just curl up into a ball and take the blows. I scream loudly and wither trying to get away. But Marcus doesn't let me. This monster doesn't let go. Marcus grabs my elbows pulling me up. And he hisses menacingly.

"You are a foul mistake. You are a mistake that I help made. I should've never excepted you. You're a disgusting disgrace." He knees me in the stomach, throws me against the dining table, and grabs a knife. When did we go into the dining room? Where is Tobias? Is he hiding? My mind is swirling and I feel dizzy and nauseated. I think I'm going to throw up.

Wait. Marcus has a knife. And it isn't a dull butter knife. It's a knife used for meats. A knife Tobias uses for slicing through chicken. And Marcus is coming towards me with it. My throat, scratchy and raw, hurts and feels like sandpaper. I've yelled and screamed too much today. Marcus steps towards me slowly, and taunting. There is a reason why he dominates my nightmares. And this is one of them. I twist, trying to get away, but only to fail miserably. Marcus grabs my wrist, and pushes up my sleeve.
"This is for your own good." He whispers.

The sharp knife pricks the skin just below my shoulder. Drawing crimson droplets of blood. Terror shudders through my body. And, as raw and scratchy my throat is, I scream again.

Marcus drags the knife down my arm, forcefully. The pain is excruciating, and it burns.
"Stop. Please father stop it hurts badly. No more. No more father." I beg as tears flow down my cheeks. So many tears that it's like I've never cried before.

But I have.

And Marcus knows it. Finally stopping just before he reaches my wrist making me grit my teeth in pain. I can hear my molars. Marcus gives me one last look and throws me against the wall once again.

"Now where's your 'creative' brother?" Marcus asks spitting the words like venom. I shake my head indicating that I don't know where he is. Marcus spits in my face and leaves the dining room. I wipe the spit with the back of my palm and I look at my large cut. It's bleeding like crazy. Before I can dwell on how I'm going to get it cleaned up I hear yelling.

"It's my nickname for her. Why did you hurt her when I came up with it?" Tobias screams, his anger is obvious.
"Because I can do whatever it please." Marcus bellows back. He's a sick, disturbing man. I can't wait to be free of him. But my age can't come fast enough.

I hear Tobias yelp out in pain, then a scream. I jump to my feet, ensuring that I'm gentle with my wounded arm. I run into the living room to see Tobias on the floor covering his side with both his hands.

Blood is everywhere. It's like a halo around his him. He moans in pain, agony.
"Tobias. Tobias please are you okay." I say quietly. Marcus looks at me with distaste and walk away into the kitchen. My face twists and I manage to get to Tobias. He looks at my arm and removes his hands reveling the biggest cut I have ever seen. His arms was covering most of it, but the blood was everywhere.

It's a pool of crimson despair, stretching from his stomach, to the center of his back. And with every move he makes, he winces. Tobias manages a sitting position.
"Rosemary your arm." He says concern lacing with his words.

"Don't worry about my arm. Your side, stomach, and back are much worse." I assure him. All I want right now is to scream out profanities. But I know that'll earn me more scars.

More cuts.

And Tobias will get them as well. I can't let that happen.
"Let's head upstairs. We can clean up in the bathroom." I tell him whispering so Marcus won't hear.
Tobias bobs his head in agreement. I wrap him arm around my right shoulder. The arm that didn't get cut. And I help walk Tobias up the stairs. I help support most of his weight. I may be Abenagation, but that doesn't mean I don't focus on muscles. I need them. Especially for reasons like these.

They happen often.

I walk Tobias into the bathroom. I sit him on the edge of the bathtub.
"Take off your shirt Tobias." I instruct as I lock the door. I have had enough of Marcus for one day. For the rest of my life even.
Tobias does as instructed, and I look at his wound.

I take out the medical kit that Tobias keeps filled. I get out three large gauze pads, bandages, and antibiotics.
I wash my hands, take the antibiotics to Tobias, and kneel down in front of him. He may not work out, but he does have abs to last.
I grab a cloth and press it to the wound. I'm trying to make it stop bleeding, but I'm only successful in hurting Tobias. He let's out a loud groan.

"I'm sorry but we have to stop the bleeding." I try to sound reassuring, but that's not going to work. My voice is gone. It's deflated, and raw. There's barely anything left of it.
Tobias, of course, noticed. "Rest your voice Roses." I look back up at Tobias.
"But Marcus-" "I don't care for what Marcus says or what he does." Tobias lowers his voice, "he's a sick man Rosemary. I will not let him get to you."
I nod my head.

"Marcus is just like that boy in school. That Candor named Peter Hayes. He's a year older then me, but he acts like a child. A four year old. He hurts kids, but then just says they started it. He does that for fun," I fume.

Tobias smiles. "You know him?"
"Yeah. He's the one who bullied Ella because of her last name."
Tobias' smile disappears.
"Oh," is all he can say. I sigh and grab the antibiotic.
"This is going to sting." I warn.
Tobias nods and grits his teeth.
I rub the antibiotic onto his side. He grunts every now and then, but doesn't yelp out.

I grab the gauze pads and bandages.
Thank goodness it isn't a deep cut.
I press the gauze pads on, and wrap the bandages around it.
"There. Good as new," I say happy that I've healed my brother. Tobias nods approvingly.
"Now your arm. You're bruises should heal." Tobias grabs two thin gauze pads, bandages, and antibiotic and does the same. He washes his hands, stops the bleeding, and adds the antibiotic.
He puts on the gauze pads and bandages.
"Now you're all set as well" Tobias grins. I nod and smile back. I wish that I had some water.
Tobias must be a mind reader or something because he says, "I have a couple bottled waters in my room. Don't ask."
I don't ask. I'm grateful.

He leads me to his room and gives me some water. I drink three bottles and I'm on my fourth when I feel drowsy and tired. I realize how late it is. Tobias sits on his bed next to me and hugs me. I don't know how, because of his side, but he doesn't acknowledge that fact. And neither do I.
I feel Tobias start to rock back and forth.

"It's going to be okay Roses, we'll leave and survive all of this I promise."

Slowly, my eyes flutter and shut, leaving me laying in my big brothers arms.

~~~