Chapter Twenty-three

"I'm so sorry." I whisper. I don't know what else to say. But I know that's not what he wants to hear. He doesn't want sympathy.

He just wants to know that I'm here for him.

My face hardens. I won't show him any sympathy. He doesn't need it.
"Look, what your father did is sick, and inhuman. But I know what that feels like. You just need to brave it trough. And whatever you need, anything at all Tyler, I'll be right here. With a butter knife if needed." I add, smiling.

Tyler raises his eyebrows, amusement dancing in his eyes. The tears wash away and I feel triumph. I did it. I wanted to lighten up the mood and I did it!
"Thanks Rose. It is okay if I call you that. Right?" He asks. I nod, "Troyer, Ella, and Luan already call me that. You can too."

Tyler hesitates and lowers his eyes.

Hmmmmm. He's hiding something else. I think, but what can it be? I already know he lied about saying his parents don't care where he's at.......oh. DAMNIT.

"Darn the stars Tyler. Your father will be furious when he finds out your not home. What is wrong with you? Why did you stay?" I said groaning. Tyler meets my gaze and I feel terrible. Maybe he wants to run away? No. Even I know he can't do that. His father will find him. Maybe.....,"do you just want to get away? That's it isn't it? You want to get away from him."
Tyler lowers his eyes again. Averting them. Looking at the wall on front of us, the stairs, the ceiling, the floor. Anywhere as long it's not my eyes.

Anywhere except me.

"He gets drunk. He doesn't care about me. His hangover is as bad as the freaken Devils. He doesn't care Rose. He never cares." Tyler finally meets my gaze but it's furious, "I hate him and he hates me and that will never change. I thought that no one else went through this but......."

I sigh. I know what he feels like. I thought that what Marcus does is only with the burden of this family. But apparently I was wrong. It can happen with anyone. I remember my mother telling me that Marcus wasn't always this mean and brutal. She told me he was a good man. Kind, selfless, and smart. And always, always honest. What happened to that man is still a wonder compared to the man my mother married and twisted her life with. Who had Tobias and I. I remember my mother told me that before I was born Marcus would give Tobias piggyback rides, and tickle him and read him stories in bed. But that was when Tobias was two. When he turned three, and learned to talk so much better, mother said that Marcus thought Tobias a nuisance. Which, when I found out I was more or less three. I didn't understand, but I now do. Marcus thought of Tobias lowly and now that sickens me, especially when Marcus is the one drinking and getting a hangovers. Tobias didn't talk until I was born. Months after Tobias turned three. Mother said that Tobias had always meant to protect me. Even when he barely knew me, when I was just born.

Anger surges through my gut and I turn away from Tyler. Anger towards Marcus. Anger towards Tyler's abusive father.

Anger towards everyone who doesn't understand what it's like to be hurt and taunted.
"Sick," I whisper, "unbelievably sick." Tyler gives me a funny look and he said, "what are you talking about?"
I meet his gaze and I feel misery twist in my stomach, "Marcus, ever since before I was even born was hurting Tobias. He was only talking. Talking Tyler. And Marcus snapped at him because he had a bad day. Then, mother gave birth to me. And apparently I'm just as big of a annoyance as Tobias never was. And he's been blaming my mother's death on me." I snarl. "And now your father is hurting you for WHAT REASON? What again did you do?" Tyler leans his head against the wall, still sitting. "Number one: your a nut case. Number two: I just seem to always get in the way of my dad whenever he's in a bad mood. Which evidently is everyday." He said flatly.

I blink at him. "Ah. I'm........sorry. to burst out like that."
Tyler shakes his head with a dry laugh, "It's fine I already ranted."
I roll my eyes playfully. Tyler suddenly leaned over and hugged me. Tightly. I freeze.

I did not see this coming.

"Thank your Rose. For caring. For actually listening." Tyler whispers against my hair. I hesitate before I wrap my arms around him, returning the warm embrace. "Anytime Tyler. I'm here." I whisper back. I can feel him smile as him arms tighten.
He pulls back.
"That's why I hugged you and Luan. You guys care. You both care." He said, the tears returning. I nod and don't say anything.

What is there to say?

Tyler gets up, pulling me with him, "I'm going to bed. I'm guessing you are too?" I nod. Still not able to say anything after all he just told me.
"Good night Rose. Sweet dreams." Tyler says, opening the door to Tobias's room.

"Good night Tyler. Sweet dreams for you too." I said finally able to speak again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk into my room and I see Luan still sound asleep. I don't know how long I stayed lingering in the hall, but time seemed to fly when I looked at my clock again.

1:06 in the morning.

Thoughts swirl and I crawl into bed. The smile plastered on my face threatens to stay another day, not just for the night.

I don't know how long it is until sleep consumes, but all I remember is a soft hum. Coming from me.

"You and I'll be safe and sound."

YESSSS!!!! Well what do you guys think???????
PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE!
Share this book even! But I will publish soon. I hope you now understand alot more insight on Tyler and what he's dealing with.
LOVE YOU ALL INITIATES!!!!!