Chapter Twenty-four

I open my eyes groggily. My right arm, the one with the deeper cut, throbs and I feel like I have a second heart. My side feels as if it's on fire. I groan in pain. This is not how I wanted to wake up.

"Get up lazy bones." Sings a chirpy voice. I grunt recognizing the voice to be Luan's. Why again is she here? "I swear if you start singing I will kick you. And I don't care what faction I'm in." I grumble. Luan laughs a little, "don't worry I won't be able to out sing you."
I blink, "that's not what I meant." I can see Luan, who was now on front of me, nod. "Yeah I know. I just wanted to tease. Now get up."

I shut my eyes. I really don't want to get up. "What time is it?" I whine. I can hear Luan groan, "It's 5:30. You need to get up Rose, before Marcus does." That wakes me up fully. Then I remember why Luan is here. She stayed the night. She an Tyler stayed the night.

Tyler..........

What he told me last night about his father and how he murdered his own wife. The woman he married. How Tyler's father took out his anger on Tyler. How he got drunk. How he just doesn't care.

It surprises me on how adults can act this way.

I swallow and slowly get up. Flaming pain shoots up my side and I yelp. Luan is instantly by my side and lifting up my shirt a little. Luan is in my nightgown so I had to wear baggy grey sweatpants and a grey T-shirt. She sighs in relief and she says that the wound isn't bleeding and that it's actually doing better then she thought it would.

I sigh. No matter what I'm still bruised and scarred. But I'm alive. And I guess that makes sense since if I just mysteriously died people will start asking questions.

That would not be any good for Marcus.

I scowl at his selfishness.

Luan blinks and turns away. I realize that she's still in her nightgown. Or in my nightgown. She can have it. I'm pretty sure that this won't be the last time she comes over.

"I can't believe you have an iron in your room." Luan said, glaring at the iron, "you know how?" I nod and get out of the bed, "yes it's my job to iron and sometimes make breakfast. And today is my turn to make breakfast so get ready quickly and get down the stairs." Luan makes a disgruntled sound and pulls out her clothes. They are crinkled. "Here, let me help." I said, taking the clothes away from Luan, "you go and get ready. Wash up. I'll iron your clothes." Luan hesitates and then smiles, "thank you Rose. Always so thoughtful." She hugs me and sneaks out of the room. I let the iron heat as I change.

I pull out a light grey tank top and slip it on. On top, a darker grey dress that hangs by my ankles, and a baggy sweater the same shade. Underneath, sweatpants since I'm subconscious and it's freezing outside. I pull on dark brown combat boots, and step out to start on ironing Luan's clothes.

I quickly iron the jacket that Luan wears on top of her blouse and I admire her sense of taste. I don't iron the blouse since it would be ruined if I do. Luan's slacks are a different story. I think they are just crying for some attention from the iron. I iron it and I hear the door behind me open with someone grumbling.

But it isn't Luan. Or Tobias.

It's Tyler.

"I swear if Luan won't get out of the small bathroom, I will do something. No matter how cute of a look she can give me." He growls sitting on the chair by my desk. I let out a small giggle. Then I realize what he actually said.

Luan. Cute. Oh. My. Stars.

"Did you just say Luan is cute?!" I ask, shocked. Tyler glares at me, "alright I'll admit I may like her. But if you say anything to her--" "I won't Mr. Serious." I said, smirking.

Tyler likes Luan. Luan likes Tyler.

I can definitely see this happening.

I finsh ironing the clothes and Luan stomps in, "be careful mammoth I don't think the floor can handle your wrath." I joke. Luan mutters something inaudible. Tyler laughs.

"You can have the bathroom." She growls. Tyler, still laughing lightly, walks out of the room.
"Tobias beat us both to the bathroom. So he got it first. Then Tyler was going in but we argued and I won that battle," Luan said, walking over to wear it stand, ironing. "So why are you so angry?" I ask, handing her her clothes. Luan mutters a thank you.

"Because I never had to freshen up that quickly." Luan groans. I roll my eyes and take out a brush.

Time to tame my mess called hair.

I take a handful and brush it through. I find so many tangles I lose count but after ten minutes my hair is in perfect waves. I brushed out the curls, but I have to take a shower tonight, so it will be back to its original style soon.

Curly and unruly.

I turn to find Luan staring at me. "Did I do something wrong?" I ask, "the only reason why I didn't iron your blouse was because it would be ruined if I did. Sorry." Luan looks confused but then she quickly shakes her head.

"It's not the blouse. It's just that your so pretty. It's sad that Abnegation won't let you show that beauty." Luan said. I blush. "Thank you," I said.
"And thank you for ironing my clothes," Luan said, smiling.

I smile back.

There was a knock on the door and it opens slightly.

Tobias.

"Yes?" I ask. "You still didn't wash up. I'll take Luan and Tyler down stairs. Marcus is still asleep, probably because of the hangover, but make it quick."
I nod quickly and Tobias smiles. "Your doing so well Rosemary." Tobias said walking over to me. He wraps his arms around me, and sets his chin on my head. "I love you Rose. Stay strong." Tobias whispers. I smile and bury my face in between his shoulder and the crook of his neck. Tobias pulls back, with a smile and he turns away, ushering to Luan to move.

She nods, grins, and walks out of the room.

I sigh. I'm going to miss Tobias.

So much.

But he deserves a better life. He really does. And for that thought, I will be strong for him. No matter what.

My brother will have a good life.

And Marcus will never get in the way