Chapter Thirty-two

I breath slowly as I wait for Ella and Troyer to arrive with their parents. I sit at the dining table, with an obviously nervous Beatrice, a concerned Caleb, and their parents, who don't have the slightest clue of what's going on. Tobias and I made chicken, baked beans, corn, and blueberry muffins. It was simple, but delicious in Abnegation's veiw. Marcus walks into the dining room looking handsome for woman his age. Grey slacks cover some of his grey and light grey checkered shirt. It was buttoned up, and had a plain grey jacket over it.

Marcus sits down across from me.

He smiles, as if amused. No, he is amused.

I shiver but quickly cover it up. I square my shoulders and straighten my back. I lift my chin, and and try to seem as casual as I can. But when I hear a knock on the door, my head snaps towards the sound.

Heart pounding, I slowly get up.

I nod my head to the Priors, and walk to the door. I unlock it, and open it. I bite my lip to keep from laughing at the sight I see. Troyer and Ella were standing behind their parents, snow covered and agitated. Their parents, however, were smiling and happy. I forgot it was snowing outside.

And that the Edmonds don't have a car. I purse my lips from a giggle.

"Hello Rosemary. You seem quite the sunshine this evening. Even in this snow." Mrs. Edmond said. "Thank you Mrs. Edmond. I was just looking forward to this dinner." I replied. Mr. Edmond smiled, "well then so were we." I step aside to let the Edmond family in. When Troyer passes, he stops and turns to me, "you're just happy your not freezing your tail off." He whispers.

I smothered another laugh.

"Thank you Troyer for pointing that out. But that's only half the reason." I said with a smirk. Troyer glares at me playfully, and walks inside. Ella comes in next with an easy grin. "I swear, if I had a piece of cake for every time Troyer cursed, I'd be like a balloon."
I giggled and nodded. "That's understandable. It's freezing." Ella shook her head, "that's the understatement of the century."

With that, Ella walked into the house, towards the dining room. I tried hard to control my laughing.

I must've done a terrible job at hiding my laughter, because Tobias gives me a funny look.

I sit next to him, and Troyer sits to my right with Ella at his side. Beatrice sits uncomfortably next to Marcus whose across from me, and Caleb sits to her right. The parents sit at the left over places.

"So, Marcus, there has been talk that the Dauntless are concerned about the Factionless." Andrew begins. As the parents begin to talk, I tune them out and stare at my plate. There is no way I am saying anything at this point. I feel a nudge, and I see Tobias. "Are you as bored as I am?" He whispers. I grin at the plate, and nod. Tobias slowly leans back in the chair, his back still rod straight. His fingers brush mine, "I can't wait until this ends. Then I can tell you another story."
I keep down a small giggle.

My brother everyone. Funny even at a formal dinner.
He deserves so much.

"Well, Rosemary? What do you like about school?" Marcus asks, staring at me. I gulp. He knows I wasn't listening to a word the adults were saying. Tobias squeezed my fingers, apologizing.
"Well, school is okay. I did very good on my English and Reading test." I said slowly. Marcus, still staring, nods, "that's good."

I swallow a big lump forming in my throat. This can't be happening. Not now, when I wanted a quiet, simple meal. But that, of course, couldn't ever seem to happen with people around. I should've know that this would happen.

"It's a shame really," Marcus went on, "I thought you were going to have a math test soon. That's the way it worked when I was in school."
I gulped back another lump. This is getting too uncomfortable for my taste. "No Father. They changed the schedule since you have been in school. Now, their doing one week reading, language, and science, the next their doing the rest of the classes." I inform. Which was true. They did change the schedule. The Erudite thought it would be better, benefiting us with more time to study.