Chapter Thirty-one

When the nurse finally let me go home I was beyond ecastatic. Despite the fact that I will still have to face Marcus at dinner. I'm surprised that the teachers are going to keep quiet about the fears I faced. Apparently I got so few fears for a child they didn't want word to spread. Especially with the loud mouth Candor. Ms. Alexandra didn't seem too embarrassed to say that aloud either. Luan, of course, was upset. But Tyler somehow managed to cheer her up.

Now Troyer, Ella, Tobias and I walk towards our house, anticipating what's to come. Marcus was supposed to still be at work but with the dinner it is possible that he's now at home. And wondering why we are not yet at home.

"Ella, Troyer, are you sure that your parents wouldn't be mad about you not yet home? I mean, you could pin it on me." I say, quietly. Troyer glares at me playfully. Ella gasps, pretending. "Your not being serious. Rosemary Eaton, you don't worry it's alright. Our mother is always at the Abnegation head house working on something for the factionless. And she always stays late to work with Natalie. And our father has the same schedule as Marcus. Don't worry." Ella reassures. I smile. "And," Troyer adds, "we'd never pin it on you. Whoever put that fear serum in you, that is who to blame."
I pause, stopping, "but we can't blame it on a unknown person." Troyer nods. "I know. We'll figure out who did it. But in the meantime, let's just hope that our parents aren't yet home."

Tobias, who was silent this whole time, speaks, "if I'd call it home."
I shut my eyes and began walking again. Home. Home is what I have always be yearning for. I open my eyes, tears again building. I gulp back a hysterical laugh. When did I become like this? Did Marcus do this?

I sniffle. I swallow back more tears. I feel a heavy hand on my shoulder, and I see Tobias. I glance up at him. "Roses, home isn't the place you live it's the people inside." He says quietly.
"I know. But the other person inside besides you is an abusing monster." I whisper back. Tobias freezes.

"Rosemary, who else is going to be there tonight? Inside the Eaton house?" Troyer says. I consider this for a moment. Then it hits. I grin and look over to see Ella and Troyer with smug smiles.

"You know what?" I begin, "It doesn't matter who is in the house. It's the people around you that make you feel at home and safe."

Tobias next to me gains a smile. "That's true, and if the people who are around you make you safe, then I have nothing to worry about when I leave." I look up at Tobias.
"No. No you don't need to worry."

Troyer and Ella seem to know what we're talking about because they look at each other knowingly.

"And we'll be there, every step of the way." Ella concludes.

************************************

When Tobias and I make it home we stop at the doorstep. Hesitant of what's to come. Finally, after a little while, Tobias bends down and grabs the key underneath the door mat. He takes in a breath, and he slides the key inside the key socket with no effort. We hear a click, share a look, and Tobias turns the key and pulls it out. He opens the door, and we were met with a blast of warm air.

That could have been welcoming, if not the eerie silence that gave Tobias and I a hello was so frightening. I can feel my arms tremble as I slowly walk in. Tobias stays glued to my side, his arm around me protectively. I let out a small profanity.

"Ah my little Rosemary is growing up so fast." Tobias whispers in my ear. I stifle a giggle.

When all we hear is silence, I finally relax, letting the tension fall. Tobias notices, and relaxes. "I guess we're alone." I conclude, "for good." Tobias nods.

"Now let's start on dinner."

UPDATE!!! Whoop whoop! Thanks to you all!!