Chapter Twenty-two

Troyer POV

I blink. I look at my clock, it's 12:00 midnight. I can't sleep. Can Rose? I hope she can. She deserves at least one nights rest. Especially after all that had happened today. She told us about Marcus, but Marcus bugged her yesterday morning while making breakfast. That was yesterday? That felt like ages ago. I slowly sit up on the bed, the grey sheets crinkled underneath my weight. My stomach growls and I grunt. Sometimes I hate my stomach.
I slowly get up, and I hear a small knock on the door. At first I'm startled, because it's 12:02 am and who could be up now? I slowly make my way to the door, and open it.
Ella.
Ella looks at me with wide eyes, "Troyer I can't sleep."
I nod my head, "neither can I. Rose?"
Ella nods. I sigh and grab her hand, pulling her towards the stairs. "I'm hungry want something to eat too?" I ask. Ella nods again without saying a word. Her hair was, for once, not in a tight bun. Her hair was long, at least down to her thighs. It's just that now, Ella's hair was not tame and beautiful as it always is with that bun. Now, it's wild and sticking out everywhere. Ella looks terrible, and I can guess why. We reach the bottom of the stairs and I turn towards the kitchen. I go to the refrigerator, and pull out the muffins Rosemary made us. Our parents both had one, but they said since Rose is our friends we can have the rest. I set it done on the counter, not reaching for one muffin.
Ella and I stay in an awkward silence.

"How do you think Rosemary is sleeping?" Ella asks, breaking the silence in the kitchen.
"I honestly don't know. But, I hope better then us." I said. Ella smiles weakly and I feel terrible. All I want to do is go over to Rosemary's house and ask her face to face if she's alright.
If Marcus hurts her again.......
I can't even think about it.

"Yeah. Same here. She never deserved any of this." Ella said nodding. She turns away, but not before I see the tears building up in her eyes. She cares. She already cares.

But I can't say much.

I can't even sleep.

I care to much too.

Or maybe not enough.

I sigh and shut my eyes. Why does everything have to be so complicated? Why does Rosemary have to get hurt? Her and her brother of all people. They don't deserve it. What did they do? Why does Marcus hate them? Too many questions.

And never enough answers.

Ella suddenly groans in frustration. "Why? Why her? Why does God hate her?" She cries, tears falling down her cheeks. A stab of pain, and I mutter, "damnit." Ella looks up, wide eyed. I sigh and look at Ella, "you heard me. It just isn't fair."
I turn away and stomp towards the living room, sitting on the lumpy but firm couch. Ella comes in after me, muttering something about anger. I roll my eyes.
"Keep rolling your eyes maybe you'll find a brain brainless." Ella said, irritated. I stare at her, did she really just say that?
"Yes I said that. You make Rose sound so vulnerable. She is strong. And you know it. Stop moping around, because I just realized that if the girl didn't break yet, then she never will." Ella said determined. I smile at her.

She's right. Rose never breaks.

And she never will.

"And if she needs us, we will be there. No matter where." I said, and Ella grins. "That's right. Now come on, I'm still hungry, and those delicious cinnamon muffins are calling my name." Ella said dreamily. I laugh lightly and get up. I walk to the kitchen, where the muffins lay on a sliver plate. I smile at how thoughtful Rose was.

And still is.

I grab one, and hand another to Ella, she makes a happy sound that I never heard of, and takes a bite of the muffin. I chuckle and bite into mine. Tomorrow Ella and I will walk to school with Rose, Tobias, Luan, and even Tyler. It doesn't matter what faction we're all from.

What matters is the connection.

And this connection will not be broken.

I will make sure of that.

I will protect all of them.

Because when we go to Dauntless, which will happen, we're gonna have each other's backs.

And I'll have all of theirs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rosemary

I open my eyes to complete darkness. Not even the moon was shining through my light curtains.
I look around to my clock and see that it's 12:00 midnight. I sigh.
I turn towards Luan who was sound asleep. I suck in a breath and go to to the door. I open it, wanting to go freshen up in the bathroom.
I step into the hallway, and I see someone.

But it isn't Marcus.

It's Tyler.

"Tyler?" I whisper, "what are you doing?" Tyler looks up at me with red eyes. Was he crying?

"Tyler what's wrong? You can tell me." I said coming to sit next to him. "I know what it feels like. I just never wanted to tell anyone." He whispers, saddness filling his eyes.
"What do you mean?" I ask turning to him.
He looks at me, new tears springing to his eyes, "Rosemary I- my father...." Tyler trails off tears now streaming down his cheeks.
"My mom is dead okay? My father killed her and ever since he's been torturing me. I know what it feels like." Tyler blurts, new tears now flowing, as if a dam just broke.

My heart breaks.

He knows. His father........

My thoughts trail off, unable to comprehend what Tyler just said. His dad, he killed his own wife. Even Marcus wasn't that bad to kill Evelyn, my mother.

"I'm so sorry."

I know I know. CLIFFHANGER!
Please comment and vote I love to hear from you all. And I will update soon!!!! 😜😜😜 Now what do you think of Tyler?