Chapter Twenty-one

Rosemary

I shut my eyes just like Tobias instructs me to do. Marcus stomps down the stairs, and I can tell he's having a really bad hangover. I swallow and try to mimick a random person who's sleeping breaths are heavy. It's hard to do, especially with the wound on my side, and the knowledge that Marcus will be looming over me, threatening Tobias.

At least, I think there will be threatening.
There always is, there always will be.

"Tobias who are you talking to?" Marcus says, his voice slurred. "No one. I'm just waiting for Rosemary to wake up." Tobias says, nonchalant. I bite my lip. He's so nonchalant. Maybe a bit too nonchalant. But either Marcus didn't know, or left it unacknowledged, I'm relived since he didn't press the topic. The smell of alcohol reeks, and I hear a bit more shuffling feet that are being dragged on the floor. Then Marcus begins to rant.
"That girl. Unbelievable. I can't even believe I can manage her. She's too much work. And all for nothing. Try to toughen her up, she goes whining to some other faction people. She never learns. Well tomorrow we'll see about that." Marcus mutters. I can practically hear Tobias's teeth grinding together. If I can get up and punch Marcus I would. Stars and spades I would.
And no one can stop me.
I pause, reeling back in my own thoughts. What am I becoming? There was a crash and Marcus mutters a profanity. More mutters, heavy feet dragging on the floor, and the stairs creaking.
Marcus went upstairs.
After I hear Marcus's door slam shut, I let out a small whimper. I feel fingers against my cheek and I let a few tears slip. I hate that I'm this weak. I open my eyes, their still blurry with tears, but I can make out the shape of Tobias looming over me. He brushes away the aggravating tears, and kisses my cheek lightly. "It's alright Roses," he whispers.
"That- that- ugh I can't even talk! How can he sat something like that? Especially about you Rosemary. You, of all people!" Tobias and I hear Tyler rant as he and Luan emerge from the tiny closet. Luan looks as if she's about to cry, while Tyler looks down right angry.
"He's delusional," Luan whispers, barely audible. Tyler looks at her concerned, and I instantly feel terrible. I bought her into this.
"Sorry Luan. For ever bringing you into this. It's my problem and-" I trail off not trusting the wobbly voice I now seem to possess. I blink away more annoying tears, not wanting to cry yet again. Stars and spades this is embarrassing.
I look at Luan, expecting to see her angry, or have a look that says, 'you know figure that out?' but instead I see sadness. Sadness and fury. Fury, angry, madness, whatever it is, Luan is furious.
She stalked up to me and stared at me, hard.
"Never, and I mean NEVER say that. Ever again. You don't know what I'll do for you, okay? You are my best friend, you and Ella both. Never say that again, 'cause I'd rather know what's going on, then keep wondering why my best friend is always hurt. Why she is always down, why she always prefers the shadows, when she is this bright light," Luan's voice cracks. She grabs my sweaty, clammy, hand, "I don't want to see you hurt. And what Marcus said was sick. Never believe him."
I slowly sit up. My eyes are now wetter then ever, and I feel like jumping up and down and never stopping. I get up off the couch, and hug Luan limply. Luan's arms wrap around my stomach, fiercely.
I smile.
When we pull apart, I see Tobias smiling next to Tyler who looked as smug as ever. "We need to talk about sleeping arrangements now that your awake Rosemary," Tobias said, authority vibrant around him.
Tyler nods grimly and Luan says nothing. Tobias clears his throat and continues, "Rosemary, Luan will sleep with you. I'll take Pervy over here." Tobias ushers towards Tyler. Tyler says an indignant 'hey' while Luan and I laugh.
Tobias grins and heads up the stairs while the rest of us follow suit. We stay as quiet as possible, and we avoid creaky stair steps. Which, unbelievably, there were more then I cared to count. Well, actually, five.
I let out a frustrated sound that make Tyler snicker. I give him a small, playful punch and he pretends to be hurt. I smile.
He smiles back.
Maybe I was wrong about Tyler.

Maybe he's nicer then I thought of him.
Maybe......

Maybe I need a new hobby.

I scowl to myself and Tyler gives me a confused look. I shake my head telling him not to ask.
We get to my room first, and Tobias kisses my cheek again. "Everything will be fine." He said assuredly. I smile and say, "I know everything will be fine."
Tyler gives Luan a quick hug which surprises her. Though I can't say whose more surprised, me or her. Tyler turns to me and hugs me quickly too. I gape at him when he pulls back. He smirks, "what I can't hug my friends?"
I blink at him in response.
He snickers and turns toward Tobias. Tobias rolls his eyes, "you hug me, and I'll punch you. Now come on Pervy." Tyler glares at Tobias's back, Luan and I giggle and we step into my room. The bed wad still unmade, and there were sewing supplies strewn all over my bed. I tilt my head to the side, but then I remember Ella bringing me clothes, and probably some thread and a needle.
I clean it up, and give Luan and nightgown.
I slip into my own night wear, and get into bed, ushering Luan to get in too. She gives me a funny look.
"What? Your not sleeping on the floor, get in here." I said.
Luan smiles and slips in on the opposite side of the bed.
"Good night Rose." She whispers.
"Good night Luan." I whisper back.

And for once, it's a restful, peaceful sleep.

YAYYYYYYYYY!!! I'm super proud of this chapter.
So, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF TYLER?!?!!?!

My Answer: I'm starting to like him. 😉😉😉😊😊😊

PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE! THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!