Chapter Nine

After Ella and the others promise not to tell anyone on get up and wash my face at the sink.

That's when I remember that Troyer is still in the girls bathroom. I honestly feel very bad for him. So I decide to wash up as quickly as possible.

Once I finsh, I walk out with everyone behind me in tow. I trust them, I realize. But, will they really keep their promise?

I guess now I'll find out.

Cindy Crawford. The meanest Amity you'll ever meet. Sadly she's also in my science class when the whole emotional joyride came along. And when my scar was finally revealed. I shudder a little. I will not let Cindy get to me. No way am I going to sit around feeling sorry for myself. I don't care if that will get me another scar. Or feel another belt bruise the other day. I will not be a coward. Especially if I want to be Dauntless.

My choice is made. I will become Dauntless. I cannot stay here in Abenagation anymore. It will tear me to shreds.

Cindy strutted up to the four of us, grinning like the maniac she is. Okay. Probably not what an Abenagation would think, but right now, I don't care.

"Oh hello Rosemary. Is your arm okay? That was a pretty big scar. I heard all the Dauntless talking about it. What happened?" Cindy says with fake concern.
"Well," Troyer starts, looking at me, "that will be nothing of your concern. That is for Rosemary, and Rosemary only, to fret for. Now, please Cindy, go find some other people to bug."

I look at him. I swear with him around I feel so safe. Maybe, I do like him. Ella told me he probably likes me, but why would he? It's not like I'm great or anything.

Ella starts to back up her brother, "Cindy, Troyer is right. Please just go."
Cindy looks from me, to Troyer, to Ella with a sneer.
"Oh please. Don't tell me your helping that, that, rat. You honestly can't be serious." Cindy snarls.
I hate her. Amity are supposed to be nice. Not mean and complete bullies. But that's Cindy. A bully. And their is nothing anyone can do about it.

Yikes. I sound like a charity case.

Luan steps up. She looks angry. And Luan is in all of my classes, so I've seen how she acts when she's agitated. Two words: watch out.
"Okay that's enough. Rosemary has twice the brain you wish you'll ever have. Rosemary is kind and honest." I cringe at 'honest'. Gosh I have lied before. In fact, just this morning I lied.
But Luan keeps going. And with every word my heart begins to swell with happiness.
"You can't say anything about her. She's our friend. And if you want to mess with her, you'll have to deal with me." Luan finshes with a triumphant smile.
"Me too." Ella steps up.
"And me." Troyer says harshly.
Cindy's sneering smile falters. I feel gratitude fill me to the bone. I just made them my friends, but I already love them.

And trust them for that matter.

Cindy huffs and stalks off past me. Bumping my shoulder in the process.
"That girl has mental problems along with Marcus." Luan whispers grinning at me.
Troyer smirks and Ella grins back.
"Agreed." They say at the same time.

The bell chimed.

First hour is finshed. We need to head to our second hour. I sigh.
Time goes by too fast.

"Come on you guys. Let's go to second hour." I say sheepishly.

I am not looking forward to seventh hour. After that I need to go home. Troyer and Ella agreed that we don't need to go to the park today. It's probably best if I go home with Tobias and get this day to end.

"Okay." They all say in unison. I smile.

I just got friends. Three amazing, awesome friends.

I can't believe it.

I can't wait to tell Tobias.

Or actually, maybe I can wait.