Chapter Sixteen

"Luan stop you're hurting him. Please just stop." I cry. Tobias' face is twisted in pain as Luan tries to clean his wound. Troyer was the only person keeping me back from murdering my new friend. Yes I know she has to clean the wound, but I really don't want Tobias to be hurt anymore than he already is. "I'm sorry Rose, but I have to clean the wound. If I leave the wound, then it will get infected." Luan says, shutting her eyes. Rose. She called me Rose. "Is that a nickname?" I ask, quietly. Luan stared at me wide eyed. "I'm sorry Rosemary, I won't call you that again if you don't want me to." Luan apologizes. I shake my head. I look at Tobias who was staring at me. Tobias slowly nods his head, telling me to tell Luan that she can call me that.
But........
"It's fine. Really. You can call me that. Just keep it quiet around Marcus." I say, gently.
Luan beams at me. "Okay." Troyer, still clutching me in his vice grip, turns to me. "You think Ella and I can call you that? Obviously not around him." I smile and turn around in Troyer's grasp. Troyer, seeing my smiling face, grins. "Yes. I mean yeah of course you two can call me that." I said. My face turning a deep red color. But before Troyer can see I quickly snap around, so he won't see. Tobias notices my flushed, red, cheeks, and smirks. Amusement dancing in his eyes. I glare at him, which only seems to make his smirk grow. I turn my head to face Ella. Her eyes are still wet, and her cheeks aren't yet dry. I reach out and brush my fingers over her hand, gentle and meaningful. Ella looks at me, saddness and fear haunting her golden eyes. Ella's hair is no longer perfectly slicked back, as it was this morning. Now its crazy, her baby hairs sticking up, as if she'd just been elctrocuted. She is shaken. And this was just one of the times the Marcus layed a hand on my brother and I. Ella's gold eyes widened as if she'd just realized what I have been thinking. She looks down at my stomach, now clean from the blood, and she hesitates. I start to wonder what she's doing, but I don't have time to dwell on it since she get's up and heads up the stairs. The stairs creak under her weight, and my gaze follows her until she is no longer visable. Troyer follows my gaze, and his eyebrows furrow. He turns toward me, asking me a unheard question that only I understand. I shake my head for an answer. Tobias seems to notice our silent conversation, and he quirks an eyebrow. I shrug slightly.
I watch as Luan dabs antibiotic on Tobias's side. I cringe, remembering how that had hurt. The pain searing my side, the wound feeling inches deeper than it really was. The slaps on my cheeks sting, my back aches of being slammed against the hard, wood, walls. I blink back threatening tears and turn away. I will not cry.
I will not cry.
I cry.
The tears spill my cheeks. I feel broken. Broken beyond repair. Troyer's grip tightens on my arms.
My two scars.
I cry out, louder. I feel myself being yanked out of Troyer's hold, and into stronger, more familiar, arms.
Tobias.
Despite his side, he holds me and let's me cry.
And I do. I sob until I'm only made of tears, mucus, and salt. I shudder and tremble. I am weak and powerless. I am pathetic and useless. I am no longer whole.
Tobias lifts up my chin, looking at me straight in the eyes. He opens his mouth to speak, but instead, a silent tear slipped down his cheek. Tobias closes his mouth as two more tears fall down his cheek. His fingers skim my cheeks, and I find my tears dry. Gone. As if they've never been there. Tobias sets me down, his cheeks dry. His tears demolished. I take deep breaths. Same as Tobias told me to do before. His own instructions on how to stay calm.
But.... It's not working.
I look around to see Ella with my brush and a new set of clothes. I see small pins to hold my hair up in the perfect bun. Her face looks shattered, as if she knows what I cried about. And maybe she does.
Troyer had his teeth gritted, but his eyes told a different story. His grey, light eyes, usually so bright, like the sun or a light. Now his eyes look haunted, and fearful.
Luan had her knees hugged to her chest, her head buried in between her knees. Her arms her over her head, her blond hair messed up. It breaks my heart, over and over again.
I want to say something, anything, and when I do get the courage,

the door opens.