How It Started

Here's a trailer to the book before you start reading ^^^^

*****************************************************

Peyton's POV:

I wiped the tears from my eyes. This always happened every time. You can't control the tears sometimes. Man I hated chopping onions. But what was I supposed to do? That's what happens when you're the only girl in the house. I watched as my 16 year old brother ran down the stairs and walked towards me, placing a kiss on my cheek.

"Good morning Peyton...need a hand with that?" he asked.

"No thanks Ryan. But you can just keep an eye on the soup?" I asked.

"Yeah...hold on? Soup for breakfast?" he probed.

"It's not breakfast Ryan. Little do you know you were asleep for so long...it's actually 2 pm. Soup's for lunch," I replied.

He chuckled and walked towards the soup pot, stirring it with the wooden spoon. I grabbed the bowl of chopped onions and slid them into the soup. Ryan smiled and watched the onions sink into the soup. He loved doing that. He thinks 'it looks hilarious'. I grabbed the spoon and stirred it all up.

"Hey why'd you do that for?" Ryan complained.

"Oh I'm sorry for interrupting your 'sinking sensations'..." I said rolling my eyes.

He sighed and smiled again. It's been 1 year since our parents died. My father passed away during a liver surgery. My mother died a month later due to depression. She commit suicide right in front of my eyes. Ryan was at school when she did that...so I was more heartbroken than he was.

"Well...the soups ready. Grab a bowl," I mumbled.

Ryan nodded his head and grabbed two bowls. I scooped some soup and poured it in each one. I placed the lid back on the pot and sat with Ryan on the dinner table. It was quiet for a few moments, as each of us ate our soup. I placed my soup down and looked at Ryan with a smile. I'm usually the one to break the silence.

"So...are you gonna do anything today?" I asked.

"Ummm...yes actually. My friends and I agreed to play a small game of football today," he replied.

"Where?" I demanded.

"Right here...in front of our house..." he said.

"What time?" I probed.

"In about 15 minutes," he mumbled looking up at the clock.

I squinted and looked at him quietly for a few moments. Ryan was a very...how do I put this...outdoor person I guess? He looked at me innocently, waiting for my approval. It felt good to be in control. I leaned back in my chair and nodded my head.

"Okay then..." I said.

Ryan smiled and walked towards me. He wrapped me in a tight hug. I sighed and hugged him back. The two of us have got along ever since the accidents. We lived together and did almost everything together...because we only had each other left of our families. We had no aunts...uncles...cousins...grandparents. No one...except for each other.

"You're the best sister ever Peyton..."  Ryan whispered.

"Thanks Ryan..." I replied.

He let go of me and went upstairs to get ready for his little football game.

"You're the best brother ever Ryan..."

Noah's POV:

I lay alone on my bed quietly. There was clearly nothing interesting to do in my life. Being a millionaire...I had everything I wanted. Well...almost everything. I never actually had...friends. All of them betrayed me...or used me for my money. That's the bad thing about being rich. I wanted someone who would talk to me...understand me. My mother stepped into my room and sat on my bed. She patted the bed for a while until she managed to grab me.

"Noah...why are you alone?" she said, sitting next to me on my bed.

"Because I want to be," I snapped.

"Why don't you go hang out with your friends?" she asked.

"My friends? You mean the people who use me for my money and betray me when I need them the most?" I sneered.

I rolled over to one side and swallowed. It still hurt me to remember it all. For ten years...I helped my friends...gave them money...outfits...took them on vacations...payed for their families operations and health. I was with them in times of hardship and I was always the one to comfort them.

And then when my father died...when I needed someone to talk to me and make me feel better...they left. They betrayed me and left me behind...heartbroken and upset. I cried so much at that time...despite being 'strong hearted' and 'confident'. They thought it was right to do such a thing to me. My mother placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Noah...I hate seeing you like this. I don't like you being alone," she managed to say.

"You're not helping...nothing's helping! It all sucks! It's all stupid! Why is it so hard to find somebody who actually cares!" I yelled, sitting up and facing her.

My mother fell silent. She knew I had a point. She knew I was right. I leaned back on my pillows and looked at my mother quietly. She thought for a while, rubbing her chin slowly. She almost jumped up as she smiled.

"I have an idea Noah...I'll get you a personal maid..." she decided.

"Mum...we have 100 maids in this house," I muttered.

"But it's a good idea. I'll get a friend of mine to help me find you a pretty maid, who can talk to you and make you feel better. Please Noah. It's worth a try," my mum explained.

"Fine..." I finally said.

I was desperate, and this was probably the only way I could find a friend. Probably even find lve. We would just have to wait and see how it could work out...

Peyton's POV: 

I was washing the dishes, while Ryan was outside playing with his four friends. I could hear them letting out cheers every time one of them scores a goal. I placed the dishes aside to dry. I sat do on the sofa and continued looking for a job. I've been searching for a job...since my parents died. Just then one job caught my eye.

We are looking for a kind young woman to be our a personal maid for Mrs Opal Grey's son. We will need you to have a lot of spare time and you must be able to sleep at Mrs Grey's household. Maid will be highly paid and given permission to visit family whenever she pleases. If interested, send us your Resume and an image of yourself. Thank you.

I thought for a while. I'm pretty sure it wont be too bad. It says I will get highly paid...and I really need the money to pay for Ryan's school fees, and for the house bills. I gulped and applied for the job, sending them my resume and an image of myself. I think Ryan will be okay with staying home by himself.

Just then I heard a loud scream from outside, followed by a car drifting. I stood up immediately, my heart pounding real quick. That was Ryan's scream. There was no doubt about that. I ran towards the front door and threw it open. I froze when I saw what had happened. Ryan was laying in the middle of the road, in front of a car. The driver freaked out and drove off frightened. I was shaking from top to bottom.

"RYAN!" I cried.

I ran towards him and sat next to him. I shook him, praying he was okay. Blood was pouring out of his head and he was cold. My heart raced even faster. Tears ran down my cheeks as I pulled out my phone. I shakily dialled the ambulance, panicking a little too much. My brother's friends were trying badly to help out, and the ambulance tried to comfort him.

I looked down at Ryan with my tear filed eyes.

"Please Ryan...you're all I have left..." I whispered.