Distractions

Peyton's POV:

Noah was a good looking guy. He was way taller than me, considering the fact that I'm the shortest girl ever. He had dark blonde hair and sky blue eyes. I smiled at him while he shook my hand. I haven't seen a good looking lad since middle school. Wait what are you thinking Peyton?! You're here to help your brother.

"Nice to meet you Noah..." I said, trying to sound nice.

"N-nice to meet you too Peyton. Welcome to our house," he stammered.

"Why thank you...so umm...I'm gonna go get a head-start neatening up your room. Can you show me where it is?" I decided.

"Yes of course. Follow me," he replied "Here...I'll hold your suitcase..." 

He reached over and held onto my suitcase, giving it a small tug. I released it from my grip and let him hold it. I walked next to him up the stairs, and he led me to a cute room. It wasn't too big, but it was still amazing. I looked around and smile. The room was simple but amazing. Noah looked at me and smiled.

"Is this your room?" I probed.

"No...it's yours," he corrected.

My jaw dropped as I stared at Noah in disbelief. This was my room? It seemed too good to be true. I couldn't stop myself from smiling. Noah seemed pretty pleased with himself when he saw how happy I was. I guess he's a great guy.

"Oh my goodness! Thank you so much Noah...it's beautiful!" I blurted.

"You're welcome Peyton..." he whispered with a smile.

Noah's POV:

It felt great to make someone happy. Her smile and her laugh were completely amazing. Like angels singing. She was going to be my friend now, and treating her right was key...especially if it meant that she'll be happy. I placed her suitcase next to the door and leaned my back on the wall. She sighed and walked towards me.

"So...where's your room?" she questioned.

"Down the hallway...wanna come see?" I offered.

She nodded her head. I closed her bedroom door and walked with her to my room. I wanted to hold her hand...but I figured it's too soon to do that. Baby steps? Yup...baby steps. I held open my bedroom door and allowed her to walk in. She gasped and  looked around, shocked. She probably thought it was gorgeous...but it seemed like an ordinary room to me.

"This room is huge!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah...it's okay..." I muttered.

"Okay? This room is bigger than mine and my brother's combined!" she blurted.

Just then she fell silent and her facial expression changed. She didn't look happy anymore and she no longer had that nice smile on her face. I looked at her worriedly. Was she upset because my room is a lot bigger than hers? She looked down at the floor and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Peyton...is everything okay?" I asked.

"Y-yeah...I'm fine. I'm just gonna...you know...get started with my work," she stammered.

She walked out of my room and downstairs to another maid. I watched as the mid let her to the cleaning supplies room. What happened to her? Why did she just change all of a sudden. I walked into my room and lay down on my bed...as usual. Maybe she was a little creeped out...because I as being so nice to her. Even worse...what if she had a boyfriend?! That'll probably stop her from talking to me.

Five minutes later, Peyton walked into my room wearing her maid clothes. She looked so cute. She had all her cleaning stuff with her, and she immediately started working. She didn't speak a single word while she cleaned. She was scrubbing all my mirrors first, then she went on to organize my drawers.

"Why are you organizing my draws?" I probed.

"Because why not. They are very unorganized. You should really consider keeping your stuff neat," she replied.

I let out a chuckle and shook my head. She looked at me for a few moments, before continuing her work. She was actually scrubbing the draws so much and refolding my clothes. Absolutely none of the maids I had took their work as seriously as she did. I sat up and looked at her confusedly.

"You're really putting a lot of effort into that. They're just draws. No one is gonna come over and be like 'Wow let's open Noah's drawers. Eew they're so unorganised"," I laughed.

"They might..." she managed to say.

"No one is going to come to my house...let alone my room," I mumbled.

Peyton put her sponge down and turned to look at me. She looked down at the ground and slowly approached me, sitting next to me on the bed. I stared at her for a few moments, but she didn't notice at first.

"You have no friends?" she asked.

"Yeah...no real ones at least..." I whispered.

"What do you mean no real friends? You seem like a nice guy...so why won't you have real friends?" she said.

Looks like Peyton has never been betrayed before. It hurt me to remember everything again. Why can't I get through a day without remembering what had happened to me. Peyton was looking at me curiously. I guess I could just tell her...just to warn her. So that what happens to me, doesn't happen to her.

"You gotta know something Peyton...not everyone turns out the way you think they will. Not everyone turns out to be the way they act," I started.

"What do you mean?" she demanded.

"People are liars Peyton. People are never honest. They act like they care...they say they'll be there for you. But they're just lying to you..." I explained.

"Has it happened to you before?" she probed.

I let out a nervous laugh. Who thought such a gorgeous girl could end up being so nosey. But I guess it wasn't bad. It was kind of cute actually. I smiled at her, to hide the fact that I was hurt. Should I really tell her this? I mean...we had just met and I was telling her something private. I looked at her and thought for a while.

"Yes...it's happened to me. But I wouldn't like to mention it..." I finally said.

"Well thanks for wasting my time! I could've finished organizing your draws if you didn't distract me," she scoffed.

She got up and went back to her cleaning. I was confused. Did it really annoy her that much that I distracted her. She seemed...rude...and ignorant. I sighed and lay down on my side, facing away from her. I remembered what I told my mum when I was upset:

"You're not helping...nothing's helping! It all sucks! It's all stupid! Why is it so hard to find someone who actually cares!"

I guess I was right. Nothing is helping. Nobody cares. Not everyone turns out the way you think they will. I closed my eyes and decided to just sleep it off. Once alone. Always alone. Not any person could change that for me. I guess Peyton should just continue doing her job, for it seems that comforting people isn't really her thing...

Peyton's POV:

I saw Noah face away from me. I hoped I hadn't hurt his feelings or anything. But he seemed quite upset. I felt absolutely fine until I said that Noah's room was bigger than mine and my brother's combined. That's when I remembered Ryan. I remembered that he was hurt, and that he needed my help. And that reminded me of another thing.

I was here to help my brother...

Not to comfort a rich nobody I just met...