Chapter 2

6:15 AM

I assumed that the counter was arranged in days, hours, minutes, and seconds, but I couldn't be sure. Either way this had me very worried. Nevertheless I couldn't help but wonder whether or not this was happening everywhere else. So I called a friend of mine, he sounded tired when he picked up the phone.

"Y-yes"

"Hey Adam, I was just wondering if your TV is currently displaying a big red scary clock that says we have a year left to live?" I try to keep my voice in a somewhat normal tone.

"Oh that's what it's counting down toward, I thought it was for some weird sort of Chinese New Year type thing. Wait, did you say time left to live?" His tone was somewhat comedic until he realized what I had said.

"Yeah, apparently the sun is expanding really really fast and is going to consume the Earth when that timer runs out"

"It's probably just some sort of April fool's joke."

"Dude, it's the middle of July."

"Oh yeah. I still think it's a lie." He was still skeptical. But come to think of it I was too. Could I really trust a news show on TV? I mean they have lied to the public before. But it's never been something on this scale before. And besides, it would be a lot of effort for a joke to program a time like this and plaster it on everyone's TV screens.

"Hey, are you still there?" Adam's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, yeah just thinking to myself is all..." My voice trails off at the end of my sentence.

"Well, here's whatcha gotta do..." He begins to instruct me on what to do next. "You get up, you go to work and if the TV is off when you get home then we will know if it was a joke. If not, then we prepare for Armageddon"

"I don't need..." I pause before I continue. That's when I fully realize the gravity of the situation. There is a high likelihood that I along with everyone else on this planet is going die to before this time next year. I try to hold onto my composure but it's in vane. I was dumbfounded, for the first time in what seemed like ages I didn't know what to do.