Chapter 29

5:19 PM
October 22, 2019
Washington DC
8 Months and 28 Days Left

We have to move on... It's what Adam would've wanted. For the last week we have been sulking around, each of us mourning in our own ways. I think now more than ever the inevitability of our situation has set in. All that we've lost has been weighing us down. But if we want to survive and keep all that we have lost from being in vain. Then we need to move on.

I'm sitting on a metal chair staring blankly at the pile of metal and engineering that will one day be our escape from the terrors that are slowly consuming our planet. Without a word I stand up and start to gather some essentials food, water, a few of the weapons we were able to gather after the chaos at the armory. As I make my way to the truck I see Lucy out of the corner of my eye. She looks at me with subtle confusion.

"What are you doing?" She asks quietly.

"Just gathering some things." I try to say as inconspicuously as possible.

"I can see that, but why?" She responds. I can see that whatever I say won't make it past her.

"I'm leaving." I reply bluntly. Surprisingly she doesn't argue in the slightest. She simply responds with another question.

"Can we come with you?" There's a trace of tears forming in her eyes. Upon closer inspection she looks tired, almost fragile. After all this time I failed to imagine how the end of the must be affecting them. "I know that Anna and I don't agree on much, but, one thing I know she wouldn't let you do is to just run off like this so we're coming with you whether you like or not." I simply nod in agreement.

* * *

Over the next few hours Lucy, Anna and I gather all of the things we need to get on the road. There's no way of telling what is safe for sure. We decided to travel farther inland after our misfortune on the coast. After I get the last of our things packed in the truck Anna asks the one question I wasn't expecting.

"So what inspired you to leave all of a sudden?" At that precise moment something changed inside my heart. After all this world has taken from me I haven't taken anything back... I might have been stuck on revenge before, but now there exists only a insatiable rage and pure hatred for those demons of the sun that took away my friends!

"Preparation for revenge, we will be back!" I say as I hop into the front seat of the truck. Without word Lucy and Anna get in, Lucy in the passenger seat and Anna in the back. I can see that the absence of Adam and Hunter shakes them even now. With a reassuring glance to the both of them I turn the key in the ignition, switch gears and pull out of the hideout we once called home.

Within a few minutes I've made it to the highway. There are hundreds of broken down cars dotted along the expanse of the roadway. The rage still simmers in the back of my conscience. But right now I need to focus on keeping them safe. If only I could keep them safe...

Author's Note

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been able to find time to write lately but we're nearing the end of the book! Expect 'chapter 30' to come out soon!
Cya!!
-N