Chapter 19

6:56 PM
September 8, 2019
Washington DC
10 Months and 9 Days Left

"So... Can someone please tell me what the plan is?" Adam said as he watched the four of us continue building the ship.

"Well, long story short, we are surviving." Anna replies vaguely.

"By building a space ship?" Adam responds.

"Yes, actually." I chime in, "You see..." I proceed to try to explain the situation while sounding as smart as humanly possible. Everyone except Anna just kinda stares at me with a confused expression, Anna nods her head.

"Yeah, pretty much." She agrees, I'm surprised she understood what I was saying... I didn't even understand what I was saying.

"Wow, so basically you are surviving." Adam says.

"Oh come, on that's literally what she just said!!" Lucy exclaims pointing at Anna. Hunter seems a bit out of it, I walk over to him and slap my hand onto his shoulder. He jumps at the contact, looks at me, then almost instantaneously his look changes from one of confusion to one of annoyance. I ask him a question,

"You alright?" His tone of voice seems shaken when he answers.

"Yeah... Yeah I'm fine"

"Really? Cause you don't sound fine." Before he is able to respond, his eyes flicker and he falls onto me for support. His eyes close and his body falls completely limp... he's unconscious.

* * *

7:01 PM
September 8, 2019
Washington DC
10 Months and 9 Days Left

"Uh, a little help over here?!" I shout while I hold Hunter's unconscious figure in my arms, everyone's head snaps in my direction. Quickly each one of them takes in the situation,

"Oh my God, Jack what did you do!?!?" Anna shouts.

"I didn't do anything! I came over to talk to kim and he just kinda collapsed?!" I defend, Adam suddenly takes charge.

"Lay him down on the desk, then I will check his pulse and see what I can do." While I quickly do as he says, everyone stares at him confused. He looks around innocently, "What? I used to be a nurse." Lucy suddenly bursts out laughing,

"You? A nurse? Sorry, but you don't look like the type of guy that would be a nurse." Adam looks at her, annoyed.

"Admittedly, it wasn't the best decision but I stuck with it for a good 5 years or so." He looks at me. "Right Jack?"

"Ok, it was more like 3 years but sure, whatever." This only invokes more laughter in everyone else, I should get them back on track. "Okay, okay can get back to problem at hand?" I say trying to get their attention, no one notices. "HEY!!" I shout, everyone stops laughing. I'm shocked by how silent it gets. "Incase you haven't noticed! I kind of have a dying human being sitting on the desk infront of me! So unless you want to let him die, I suggest you stop laughing at my friend and actually try to help me out!!" After a moment of silence everyone starts to help me take care of Hunter's inhumanly cold, still, and fragile body. I take a step back and stare at him, as much as I want him to he doesn't move, wake up, or even twitch, in a sense he almost doesn't even look alive. A heavy sense of despair weighs down my body. The man that I met a month or so ago, who I have become great friends with is now seemingly lifeless on the desk infront of me. I let out a heavy sigh as I watch everyone hastily try to him to wake up. But something deep down tells me it's all in vane, at least I still have hope. False hope, but hope none the less.