Chapter 13

9:03 PM
September 1, 2019
Washington DC
10 Months and 9 Days Left

We arrive just after dark, once we find the NASA building Anna has no trouble getting us hidden behind it. But as we find our way to the meeting spot something's wrong, Hunter is gone! Frantically I reach for my phone to call him, but as I pull it up to my ear Anna quickly grabs my phone and hangs up the call. I turn to her with a confused look spread across my face, she looks out to the yard infront of our hiding spot. Through the darkness I notice someone walk past us. From what I can make out they are a young woman with long, brown hair that almost reaches their waistline. I can't help but to notice her warm brown eyes as she hurries away to the front of the building.

Once she is far enough away I turn to Anna and ask her a question. "Do you know who that was? I thought you said no one would be around this late?!" I say trying to keep my voice quiet.

"No, I have no idea, and I didn't think anyone would be working this late." She replied with an innocent look on her face. "Can we just get on with the plan?"

"But where is Hunter?" My worry still prominent on my face.

"He is going to be meeting us out front in the truck." Anna states calmly, I'm almost jealous of how well she is handling the situation.

"Well, you're up first. Have fun!" I say getting back on track. With a quick smile Anna darts into the back of the building leaving me alone in the darkness.

Minutes later a big garage like door opens shedding light onto the grass infront of me. That's my cue, still crouching I sneak into the storage room and start gathering the materials. While I'm looking for the main engine something catches my eye. As I turn my head to see it I find my self at the barrel of a gun, the same girl from before is staring at me from behind it. Immediately I throw my hands in the air and try to look as innocent as possible.

"Who are you and why are you here!" She shouts with more confidence than I expected.

"My name is Jack and I am looking for parts." I say trying to stay calm.

"Why do you need parts from this place?" She gestures to the shelf next to us. I can't tell her or else she might want to tag along, and we don't have enough room for anyone else in the shuttle.

"Why do you care." I try to maintain some sort of confidence.

"Um... cause I am, and in case you've forgotten, I'm the one with a gun to your head." She replies.

"Fair point."

"So are you gonna tell me why you're collecting parts?" I guess there's no way getting around this.

"Well, my friends and I are trying to escape the sun." Only after I finish my sentence do I realize my mistake.

"Wait, friends? What friends? Are they here?!" She demands.

"No it's just me." I lie, "They thought it would be best to only send one of us, and I drew the short stick." It is at that precise moment that Hunter decides to honk the horn of his truck. I sigh at how unlucky I seem to be these days.

"Then who was that?" She comments.

"I don't know." I try to play it off, it doesn't work.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're a terrible liar." She grabs me by the sleeve of my shirt and drags me to the parking lot, she is met by Hunter's bright red truck with both Anna and Hunter sat comfortably in the front. When they see someone​ else following closely behind me with a gun to my head they tense up. My captor makes me kneel around ten feet away from them. I look down at the concrete below preparing for what happens next. I don't think this can get any worse. I feel the cold barrel of the gun press against the back of my head, It got worse.