Chapter 21

************************************
Beginning Of Part Two

                                                                 *****************************

4:35 PM
October 11, 2019
Washington DC
9 Months and 6 Days Left

Hunter hasn't waken up since the incident, Adam has been monitoring him relentlessly for the past couple of days while the rest of us argue about what to do with him. Half a month has gone by and we haven't gotten anything done, the ship still sits in the workroom untouched and unfinished. We keep talking in circles... Adam thinks we should do all that we can, Lucy thinks that if we keep him alive we could risk an outbreak of whatever he is infected with, and I think we should give him a chance. After all, if he hadn't given me one I would probably be dead in Georgia right about now. We are sat at a table in a room just across from where Hunter is resting, once again, we are arguing. I am slouched in my chair frustrated with all of the arguing going on, Anna has stayed with Hunter refusing to leave his side no matter what Adam says to convince her otherwise. This leaves me, Lucy, and Adam to come to a decision.

"So what should we do with him?" I ask for what feels the hundredth time.

"I say we put him out of his misery." Lucy says distant. "It pains me to see him in such a state, and we can all see how it's affecting Anna." I understand what Lucy is saying, but at the same time I can't help but to feel that we should keep him. "What do you think Adam?"

"I still think we should keep him alive." Adam responds, he turns to look at me..."You're the tie breaker Jack."

"I can't decide... On one hand there is all the risks that come with keeping him alive, but on the other hand if Adam is able cure him and he survives then we won't have anything to worry about." I'm rambling while I contemplate my decision.

"Not to insult your skills Adam, but do you know how unlikely that scenario is?" Lucy says skeptical.

"I know but, something is telling me not to just let him die."

"Why are you two so attached to him anyway?! Especially you Adam I mean you literally just met the guy?!"

"A HUMAN LIFE HANGS IN THE BALANCE LUCY!!" Adam screams in response.

"YOU BOTH SAW WHAT HE'S BECOME!! THAT THING IS NOT HUMAN!!!" Lucy raises her voice to match his, Anna comes sprinting into the room.

"EVERYONE SHUT UP!!!" Her voice silences the argument. "He's up." She says calm, yet panicked and out of breath. Simultaneously we all get up to go see what's going on.

I am the first one of us to get through the door. Hunter's eyes are still an unsettling orange and black, in fact I almost think I can see the sun in his eyes. He is straining to sit up and is willing his arms and legs out of his restraints, luckily the ties are holding. Once again his eyes fall on Anna, he is able to form words although they are strained and seem to exhaust his entire body. He blinks rapidly and his old eye color returns, "Anna, come here..." Hesitantly she does as he says, the rest can do nothing but watch in fear and astonishment. As Anna approaches Hunter reaches out and grabs her hand in an effort of reassurance, she takes it and waits for what he has to say. "Please... Help me!!" He pleads in vain, it seems to take the last of his effort as he collapses back in the bed.

"No! Hunter!!" Anna yells, she leans close to him to try and wake him up again. His eyes open but are once again orange and black, his hand lashes out and seizes her throat. The lights flicker and the door slams shut behind us. His voice is different, almost demonic with a menacing undertone.

"He loves you, you know." He says quiet like death. Then everything goes dark and a loud crash is heard, I see Anna fall to the floor struggling to breath. I rush to her as the lights turn back on and Hunter is nowhere to be found.