Chapter 3

4:37 PM
July 30, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
11 Months and 10 Days Left

It's been two weeks since the broadcast. I've moved back to my hometown to spend time with my family. Funnily enough I haven't seen them in quite a long time, I guess I just never had the time. And in an strange way I'm kind of thankful for this catastrophe (if you can even call it that). It has given me a chance to put my life in perspective.

Sure after the message was confirmed by the government I was devastated. I mean who wouldn't be, but after I got over the initial shock of it all I started to look at things a different way. I quit my job like most other people after hearing the news. I've moved into my parents house in Des Moines so I can spend more time with them. But now things are so much different, the days have already started to get hotter by a few degrees and the economy has started to fail due to the sudden drop in the amount of jobs across the US.

Those sorts of problems don't bother me as much as you would think. In fact, now they only serve as good conversation starters. What really matters to me is spending as much time with my family as possible.

I'm sitting In the kitchen of my old house. My dad enters while I am contemplating everything that has happened over the last two weeks. He is a brown haired man in his late sixties and is wearing a grey sweater and jeans. As you might expect everyone freaked out when the broadcast was confirmed. In addition to quitting their jobs they have abandoned the law. I guess most people thought that since we're all gonna die anyway they might as well commit some crimes.

"Ya know these days people are talking about the end of the world like there's no tomorrow." My dad flashes me a comedic grin. He can be so cheesey sometimes.

"Well I should think so" I replied "We are facing imminent doom after all."

"I know, I know I was just joking with you."

"Yeah, but doesn't it depress you a little bit to know that we are all going to die in a year."

"Jack, you need to change your attitude, I mean think about it. Do you really want to spend the last year of your life moping around feeling sorry for yourself? Now sure you can do that but you can also choose to enjoy your last year on Earth and actually do something. Go outside, read a book, make a bucket list for all I care!" His voice becomes more somber and caring. "Just don't drown yourself in a pool of self pity."

He exits the room and once again leaves me to my thoughts.