Chapter 4

12:34 AM
July 31, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
11 Months and 9 Days Left

What my father said has kept me awake all night. I mean he's got a point, what do I accomplish just siting around all day and doing nothing. It's only been two weeks and I am already moping. I should take his advice and do something productive, but what? What am I supposed to do with all of this time left over. I can't really go outside for risk of being robbed or even killed. I'm not really much of a reader, I could create a bucket list and try to complete it I guess? Yeah I'll do that, I'll create a bucket list.

I jump out of bed with a loud thump that sounds like it woke up a few people. Then I rush to my old desk I used to use as a kid. I start by writing the words bucket list at the top of the page in big bold letters and write a one underneath. I pause then to think of something that I have wanted to do but I can't think of anything. All the things used to matter to me don't seem to carry as much weight seeing as we are all going to die soon anyway.

There I go again being mopey. Then I have an idea. I should just do something productive to take my mind off of our demise. Sure it's not anything monumental but at least it's something. I'll ask my parents if they need anything done when they wake up.

* * *

8:15 AM
July 31, 2019 

I only got a couple hours of sleep last night. Regardless I should get up to go ask my parents if they needed help with anything. As I walk into the living room I can see that dad has already eaten and is having a conversation with my mom.

"Good morning." I say before they notice me.

"Good morning son!" Dad waves me over. I sit down at the table eager to be productive.

"So I thought about what you told me the other day Dad, and I want to be useful. Is there anything you both would like me to do?"

Mom chimes in. "Well, now that you mention it honey, we are running out of food in the fridge. Do you think you could go to the store to get us some food?" She is oblivious to how dangerous it has become to go outside. But I am determined to be of use so I swallow my pride and agree to run the errand.