Chapter 14

10:35 PM
September 1, 2019
Washington DC
10 Months and 9 Days Left

My body tenses up as I wait for her to shoot. Then it happens, I hear a deafening sound and a searing pain shoots through my neck. The impact of the shot causes me to fall over as my forehead slams into the ground. I sprawl out onto the ground, maybe she will think I'm dead. I hear screams of despair come from the truck, I guess I looked a bit too convincing. I have no time to dwell on this though, I succumb to my injuries and fall unconscious.

* * *

I wake up hours later in the NASA building, I feel the cool fabric of a bandage on one side of my neck. Immediately I feel the pain of it sting across my neck and shoulder.

"They left you behind." I look over to see the person who shot me sitting in a chair a few feet away. At first I am confused but then I remember everything that happened before I fell unconscious. I stand up and take a few steps back from her, "Relax, if I was going to kill you I would have done it by now." She says looking at me with a semi-apologetic smile. " And besides I'm not the kind of person that kills people." She continues.

"Oh really cause it's kind of hard to tell when you show people your gun as a first impression." I chime in sarcastically.

"Ok, admittedly that was a bad idea." She replies. "I just wanted to get your friends out of the equation."

"Why would you want to do that?" I exclaim still confused as to what her motives are.

"I figured after you mentioned an escape well, if I got you to myself I would get to go with you." She explains.

"Ya know you could have just asked." I say starting to understand the situation. "Well, if you're going to go with me can I at least know your name?" I ask.

"I'm Lucy." She says with a quick smile.

"Okay Lucy, I guess we had better get to work."

***********************************
Author's Note

***********************************

Hello!

Sorry this chapter is short but I have a larger chapter planned for #15.

Thanks!

- N