Chapter 25

*************************

Quick Author's Note:

Okay for all of the people that these characters are based off of here's a warning. At around this point in the novel the characters start to take on their own respective personalities and personas. So if they ever do anything that you wouldn't, now you know why.

Okay. Thx! Bye!!

- N

********************

6:50 AM
October 12, 2019
Washington D.C.
9 Months and 5 Days Left

There is an odd tinge of uncertainty and despair in the car as we make our way back into Washington D.C. I look around and notice a calm, distant, and empty look on everyone's faces, and honestly I don't blame them, over the last few our hours it has finally began to set in that most of, if not all of our loved ones are dead along with majority of the human race. It's only been three months since the broadcast and I can only imagine the amount of people who have passed at the hands of the uncontrollable chaos or the rising temperatures of the Sun reminding us all of our impending doom.

"So, to the armory first then, right?" I ask breaking the silence.

"Yeah, yeah right the armory." Anna responds first shaking off her seemingly lucid day-dream. I hear Adam and Lucy mummer in agreement at her response.

"And where exactly is the armory?" Adam asks from the back.

"Yeah, now that you mention it" I say in agreement. "Anna, you haven't told us where it is the entire trip."

"Well, there may or may not have been a problem I neglected to inform you about." Anna shrinks back into her seat and her voice seems to shy away from the conversation as she finishes her sentence.

"That problem being?!" I persist.

"Last time I checked the armory was heavily guarded by a local gang here in D.C." She admits reluctantly.

"Wait we've been driving for like three hours and you neglected to mention that fact FOR THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE ON OUR WAY TO THAT EXACT SPOT!!!" I shout in response.

"Calm down! Who knows, they might not even be there anymore, and besides the last time I heard about them was only shortly before we got here so..." Anna defended, frustrated I turn my head back to face to road. In the distance I catch a glimpse of a low profile building a few blocks away, with a metallic​ looking exterior and a single door located in the bottom left corner of one of the sides of the rectangular structure.

"Is that it?" I say pointing towards the ominous building.

"Wait, were still going through with this?!" Lucy exclaims shocked at my question.

"Yeah it is." Anna replies ignoring Lucy.

"Okay then." I say rerouting us towards the building. "Now... Has anyone killed someone before?" I hear somewhat surprised murmurs move through the car. Everyone is saying no. "Great. Me neither, Let's do this." Just as I finish talking, we pull into the parking lot in front of the menacing looking armory.

As we all get out of the car something doesn't feel right, almost as if the place is dead, like if all of the life and character from the armory itself was suddenly stripped from it and destroyed. It just felt empty. The others must have felt it to because I turn to see Adam shiver as we creep over to the pale white door. I am the first to reach the door, before entering I lean my ear against it to see if there is anyone on the other side. Everything as far as I can tell... is eerily silent, cautiously I open the door.