Chapter 23

10:32 PM
October 11, 2019
Alexandria, Virginia
9 Months and 6 Days Left

We've been on the road for hours searching for any sign of Hunter, needless to say, we haven't found him yet. There has been plenty of scenery moved to ruin by the coming apocalypse. The sun is slowly vanishing below the horizon and is still barely visible, casting a golden glow in the distance. The rest of the sky is pitch black and creates an eerie tone on our surroundings. I shudder as I glance at one of the dimly lit alleyways. I drive on, surveying the long stretch of road infront of me when a loud explosion deafens my ears causing me to swerve the truck into another lane. I'm still fighting for control of the car when I notice someone standing on the road infront of me. Frantically I drift the car to a stop mere feet away from them, upon closer inspection I realize that it's Hunter, Hunter is the one standing there in the road staring back at us. I pray that he isn't whatever that thing was back in Washington DC.

Slowly his gaze moves across each one of us, my hopes are crushed as he glares at us with the same demonic eyes from before. We are all frozen in a silent terror as he starts walking closer to us. He is only glaring at one of us now... Me! Then he reaches the truck, the anger only grows on his face when he sees us up close again. I have the window closed as to protect us from whatever he might do. Without a word he puts his hand on the window of the door, the only thing separating us. I hear a low simmering and steam starts to escape from where his hand is placed.

In a panic I reach for something to defend myself with, luckily Hunter had concealed a gun in the glove compartment before he became the monster infront of me. I check the gun for ammunition, turn the safety off and point it at what used to be Hunter.

"No!!" I hear Anna scream from the back of the truck.

"Listen! Whatever is on the other side of that door is not Hunter!!" Lucy interjects before I can say anything.

"Well do you want me to shoot him or not!!" Their argument halts at my question. Before either of them are able to say anything, I feel a weight press down on the gun. My head snaps back to face the window and I see it's arm stretched through a burning hole in the windshield, it's hand gripped around my gun with the strength of ten men. I am forced to let go of the gun as it becomes searingly hot. It then retracts it's arm and throws the gun onto the asphalt behind it. Adam is tense in the seat next to me.

Quickly I turn to him and signal him to get out of the truck. We all rush out of the truck, and as my feet land on the ground beneath us I realize that there is a metallic bite to the air, almost like blood. There is a thick black smoke on the horizon and fires dot the area around us. That's when I notice countless other creatures just like Hunter shuffling twords us from all directions​. Looking at everyone I take off in a sprint in the opposite direction of the truck, Adam and Lucy follows me, Anna seems a bit hesitant to leave but gives in and joins the rest of us. We slow to a brisk jog after we are a good distance from the truck, I spot an abandoned house a few yards away.

"Come on, let's go!" I shout to the group and we head into the house, we should be safe here until the sun comes up in a few hours. I turn to the main living room where two long couches are located. "Well, I suggest we all get some rest." I say reassuringly, although for most of us this will be a sleepless night.

Exhausted I collapse onto a couch and fight to fall asleep, listening to the eerie shuffling outside.