Chapter 18

5:15 PM
September 8
Washington DC
10 Months and 2 Days Left

"So, are you gonna explain to us why the heck we should trust you?" Anna says giving Lucy a cold look.

"That's kind of hard to do when you have two guns pointed at your head." Lucy replies cautiously, both Anna and Hunter slowly put their guns down.

Then, surprisingly Lucy was able to explain the situation to Anna and Hunter without getting shot. For once, everyone is on good terms. Anna seems to understand what Lucy is saying, and honestly, I didn't think that would happen.

"... And then we heard a sound come from this room and we went to investigate and ran into you." As Lucy wraps up her explanation, one of the vents above of us gives out and we all see someone fall from the ceiling before they make a brutal sounding impact on the floor twenty feet below. After the dust clears I see a figure that I almost immediately recognize as my best friend Adam. Something about him is different though... He seems stronger than he was when I last saw him.

"Ugh..." Adam let's out a groan of pain almost minutes after he landed. I take back what I just said, after a moment he looks at me and outreaches his hand. He wants me to help him up,

"Jack do you know this guy?" Lucy questions, she seems to be the only one who has stayed calm. Looking at them with a knowing smirk I lean down twords Adam and quickly pull him to his feet.

"Everyone, meet Adam!" I say exuberantly, I point to Adam as I introduce him. He doesn't look to good, his once dark blonde hair now seems to be dyed black and his clothes look to be in heavy disrepair. Hunter says what we're all thinking,

"Dude, what happened to you?" He acknowledges Adam who only seems to nod in response. Adam then takes in the situation, he looks at me to say something.

"Jack? I didn't know you worked at NASA?" He says obviously confused.

"I don't, I just... Well it's complicated." I attempt to explain.

"So, Adam... Can you explain to us why you just fell out of a vent?" Lucy asks.

"Nope, nope, just nope! I am not going to listen to another hour of pointless explanation! Let's just say welcome to the group and get on with things shall we?!" Anna exclaims walking out of the room twords the ship.

"Ya know what, that doesn't sound like a bad idea." Hunter says following her. Lucy runs after them a while later, leaving me and Adam still standing in the empty room.

"Welp, I was right and you were wrong." I say in a mocking tone

"About what?" Adam asks somehow still dazed from his fall.

"The end of the world." I smirk with victory.

"Yeah but this is so much cooler than a government conspiracy!!" He replies walking away. How does he always do that, he can always turn a negative situation into a positive one. I really need to learn something from him.

Shaking my head I walk out and get myself prepared for whatever will happen next.