Chapter 30

3:16 PM
November 22, 2019
Olathe, Kansas
7 Months and 28 Days Left

So it's been a month since we departed from Washington DC and we decided on Olathe. We figured that the distance would give us time to prepare. Over the last month Anna has confirmed that Hunter is the source of the virus, or his body is the host for the source rather. So if we want to make it out of this alive then we have to kill Hunter.

While Anna was researching, Lucy and I were making supply runs gathering weapons and food wherever we can find them. We settled into a suburb in the Eastern part of the city. We've been able to clear almost the entire neighborhood in the time that we've been here and we're pretty stocked up on food.

When we're not on supply runs we are practicing with the firearms that we found at the armory in DC. We've all gotten pretty accurate too.

"So what happens when we do kill Hunter." Lucy asks Anna after hitting one of our makeshift targets dead center.

"Well without a main host all of the other extrapolates of the virus will self destruct." Anna responds.

"Uhh English please..." Lucy asks in return. Anna sighs in mild frustration.

"Basically if we killed Hunter the rest of the Sun Demons will die with him." Sun Demons are what we decided to call the things wandering around that look like Hunter. We chose the name because of their heat based properties.

"Then what are we waiting for!? Why don't we end this while we still can!?!" Lucy questions while reloading her pistol.

"No. Even if we could find him we're not ready. Remember, his form of the virus is hyper intelligent, it behaves differently. So not only is he stronger but he destroys things much quicker." Anna argues. I can see that Lucy wants to argue but knows that nothing will change her mind.

Our conversation is cut short however when something starts pounding against at the door. "Grab a gun." I whisper to Anna and Lucy. I pick up the loaded pistol from the table and cautiously creep over to the door. Before opening the door I place the back of my hand against it to check for heat. If there's heat, a Sun Demon is on the other side. If not then it's just another survivor. After a few moments my hand starts to heat up. It's a Sun Demon.

With all our guns raised I open the door. As soon as I see the figures on the other side my arms freeze. It's not just one Demon, it's a hoard. After a moment of hesitation I slam the door shut. "We need to run!" I say looking at Anna and Lucy with a bit more panic then was nesasary. Without a word they take off out the back door of the house. Not a moment too soon I lock the door and follow them as quickly as possible. After I find them waiting for me outside I look around for the best direction to run. There's no telling how big the hoard is so the best bet would be to run perpendicular to the hoard. "This way!" I say taking off across the street with Anna and Lucy away from the hoard. And all I can think as we're running is how we're leaving in fear... Again.