Chapter 26

7:34 AM
October 12, 2019
Washington D.C.
9 Months and 6 Days Left

The door creeks open casting a ray of light the to the vast darkness of the room. From what I can make out, there is almost nothing in the room. The light from the door fades before reaching the wall opposite us. Moving slowly I walk into the room, trying my hardest to stay in the light.

"Anyone got a light?" Adam asks as he follows me inside.

"I'll see if I can find a light switch." Moments later the lights flicker on revealing the armory in all its glory.

"Oh my God." Anna murmurs as she takes in the scene infront of us. There are several corpses scattered around the room. Their faces are horribly disfigured and charred to the point of as black as coal. Every wound they had was plated with cauterized blood. The floor of the building was built of smooth concrete and there is a wide staircase in the corner leading to a basement labeled "Weapons Storage".

"This must be what's left of that gang you were talking about." I say to Anna blankly, she doesn't respond.

"Let's just get what we came for and get out of here!" Lucy says heading towards the stairs. Adam is to stunned to say anything.

We arrive at a set of white metal doors with a message written on them in black spray paint.

He Has Forsaken Us

"Well we've made it this far, we can't quit now." I say with a sigh. "And besides, I don't think whatever is in there could be any worse than what we've already seen."

"Good point." Adam responds, I reach for the doors and pull them open. The lights are once again off and we are left to our imagination to figure out what's inside. With a breath of confidence I step inside and immediately start to search for a light switch. I run my hand across the wall and notice the material is cold and rough, almost like stone or painted brick.

I've lost track of where everyone else is in the darkness. Then the doors slam shut eliminating the rest of the light from the room. "Who did that!?" I shout to the others through the darkness. I stop in my tracks to wait for a response... Nothing.

That's when I notice just how silent it really is in here. I continue forward clinging to the wall next to me desperately looking for some form of light or a marker to figure out where I am. The seconds bleed into minutes and minutes into hours. With no way to tell it, my sense of time has been distorted. I feel like I've been standing for hours, I've given up on finding a light, and my eyes have started to adjust. I can make out a faint outline of a wall a few feet away and what looks like an exit.

I start to make my way towards the exit letting go of the wall and stumbling into the darkness. Then my eyes are taken off guard by a bright flash of light in the corner of my vision. I'm so tired of walking the shock of the sudden appearance of light sends me falling to my knees. I can only think of how closely the flash of light seemed to resemble fire as I recover from the flash.

Just as I get back to my feet a gut-wrenching scream pierces my ears sending fear into every bone in my body. I dart into a sprint in the direction of the scream fueled only by adrenaline. I run into a hysterical Anna supporting herself with her arm.

"I saw him Jack I really did!!" She shouts as I approach.

"Woah, woah, calm down Anna!" I say putting my hands on her shoulders. "Who did you see?! Anna who?!" I ask confused.

"Hunter!! Jack, I saw Hunter!!!"