Chapter 16

5:15 PM
September 8, 2019
Washington DC
10 Months and 2 Days Left

Everyday I'm surprised by how things have changed, everyday more grass dies, everyday the weather gets a bit warmer, and everyday the sun gets just a bit bigger in the sky. It's hard to believe it has only been two months since the sun started on its course of certain destruction.

Today, the government collapsed. Lucy and I watched from afar as the White House slowly fell to the ground. Most of the government buildings have been gathering dust for a while but the White House was the last one to fall. Now, officially, the government is gone.

As we sat on the hill watching in silence, Lucy turned to me and asked me a question...

"So, what's next?"

"I don't know, we keep building and hope that we can survive long enough to escape it?" I suggest.

"Yeah, that sounds like a plan." She smiles at me before getting up to head back inside. I get up as well and start to head for the door...

A loud crash is heard from inside the building, Lucy looks back at me with a frustrated look. We both run in to see who or what made the noise. Lucy stops us in an office like room, she opens a drawer with a hand gun concealed inside. She grabs it and exits the room with a grin,

"What about me?!" I say to her as she runs off.

"Find your own!" She shouts back. Frantically I search the room for some sort of fire arm, I look over and find an automatic assault rifle propped up against the wall. Quickly I run after her, my gun held at shoulder height as I entered the room where the sound came from.

My mouth drops open and my gun falls as I see Anna and Hunter standing in a stand-off with Lucy. At first they don't recognize me, but soon it clicks with them and they drop their weapons.

"Jack!?" Hunter exclaims more confused than angry.

"You're alive!?!?!?!" Anna screams at me with enough volume to make anyone go deaf.

"Wait, why are you here?" I ask changing the subject.

"We came here to get revenge." Hunter says glaring at Lucy, she glares back with a glare strong enough to burn a hole through someone. Then Anna asks the question I was expecting her to have.

"Hold on! Why are you on her side!!" She says casually pointing her gun in the direction of Lucy. "She almost killed you!!" Anna continues to rage.

"I can explain." I say taking a cautious step back.

"No, let me." Lucy interjects.

Hunter rolls his eyes. "I can't wait to hear this."