Chapter 31

7:05 PM
November 24, 2019
Olathe, Kansas
7 Months and 26 Days

"We can't keep avoiding this!" Lucy argues with Anna. They've been at each other's throats ever since we've been on the run.

"No! We can't..." I say siding with Lucy. "We need to prepare before we head back to Washington DC."

"Ugh!" Lucy groaned as I finished my sentence. We found refuge in yet another abandoned house. Which as you can guess is... Less than pleasant.

The gravity of the situation hit me once again when we found the houses former residents. Anna screamed when we were scavenging for food, she had opened their pantry door to find what looked like the charred remains of an old couple. Lucy and I rushed over to see what was the matter and we had about the same reaction. It's almost demoralizing to think of how many people have ended up just like them.

"Uh Earth to Jack!?" Lucy says snapping me back to reality. "Anybody home?" She says sarcastically. Anna has left the room and gone back to her research leaving Lucy and I alone in living room of the house.

"Yeah, sorry I was just thinking about the couple we found in the closet yesterday." I respond with a twinge of sadness intertwined with my words.

"That kind of thing really puts it into perspective doesn't it?" Lucy says coming closer to me.

"I'm not sure I know what you mean." I say confused at the sudden change in the tone of the conversation.

"I'm just saying that since we could be overwhelmed at anytime, we gotta do what we can while we still have the chance." Our bodies now inches from each other and I can tell from the heat emanating from my cheeks that I'm blushing. Without another word we lean in until our lips touch and we're kissing, hesitantly at first but then with more passion. After a few moments we break away. Now wrapped in a tight embrace Lucy looks up at me with a romantic flare in her eyes. I then let go and with a smirk Lucy turns around and walks into the kitchen.

* * *

I can't stop thinking about Lucy and the kiss we shared earlier today. Man, Why do feelings have to so confusing!

I headed upstairs to a bedroom that I picked out when we got here. It's been a few hours but we agreed that after we gathered some more food we would leave tomorrow morning and head to Washington DC to finish this. I've spent my time polishing my gun and repairing some other parts of it to make it fire faster and reduce the recoil.

Just then I hear a knock at the door to my room and I look up to find Anna standing in the doorway smiling back at me. "So what happened between you and Lucy?"

"We may have kissed." I reply plainly.

She seems taken aback by my answer. "So that actually happened?"

"Yeah, pretty much." I say trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.

"You do know that she shot you, right?" She states as if I've forgotten about how we met in Washington DC.

"Yeah. It's heck of a way to meet someone." I say thoughtfully rubbing the scar on my neck. "And to be fair you did leave me behind afterward."

"Ok you win." Anna says. "All I'm saying is I don't know if I trust her yet, be careful."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I question once again taking Lucy's side.

"I've seen the way she's been looking at you recently and it's pretty obvious that she loves you, my only question is... Do you love her back?"

************************
Author's Note
************************

Hey I'm writing again! Sorry for being inactive so long. I had to put Wattpad on the back burner for a while while I started school, but now that I've settled in It should be back to business as usual!

-N