Eleven~Cold Potatoes

I got inside and Edward wasn't home. Edward was at football practice. So it was just me. I ran up to my bedroom and called my father.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Hello?"

"Daddy!" 

"Princess! I gotta tell you something." Just then my heart dropped.

"Looks like we will be home later than expected. Maybe a week. I'm sorry."

"Oh", I said numbly, "that's fine. Miss you. Edwards fine, we are all fine. See ya then. Love you."

"Love you too. By Angel."

We hung up and I fell down in my bed. I ran my fingers threw my hair and took a deep breath. Then the phone rang. I sighed and picked it up. It was Edward, he was staying with a friend tonight. Now all my plans had been derailed.

I went down stairs to the kitchen. I got out a cold bowl of mashed potatoes. I got a spoon and sat at the kitchen table. The tv was on, The Andy Griffith Show.

I heard a knock at the door. I got up and walked to it. It was Corey.

He looked upset. "Hey.", he said in almost a whisper. "What's wrong?", I asked letting him inside. "My dad and mom are fighting." I sat down across from him at the table. "Cor, I thought your dad lived in Canada." He looked out the window beside us. "He does. He came to visit. He and my mom can't stop fighting for 5 minutes!"

I handed Corey a spoon. "What you doing?", he asked. "Eating cold mashed potatoes.", I said. "Why?" "Because I'm Sarah-Jane Swayze, and I can.", I said smiling.

He smirked.

This God awful scream came from the basement. We both nearly jumped out of our skin! We looked at the basement door then each other. "So...what now?", I asked.

He jumped out of his seat and pushed it in and stood behind it. "We are not going down there! Nope! I choose life! I don't wanna die, we don't know what down there! It could be a murder! SJ please don't go down there!", he said.

I scoffed. "What if someone needs our help Cor? What if they need help? We can't just sit here! I'm just a scared as you!"

"Call the cops them Miss Priss!", he yelled.

I made puppy dog eyes and sweetened my voice. "Please go with me Corey. I don't wanna die, and if I do, I wanna die with you."

He thought this over for a second. "Okay."

I got a knifes out of the knife block and gave one to Corey and held the other in my hand. We walked over to the door. "This is how people in the movie die Sarah-Jane." I looked at him. "The face you make when your scared is the cutest thing", I said.

He smiled a bit, making me feel a little better. I grabbed his hand and we walked down the stairs. Once we reached the bottom of the stairs, I picked up a flashlight that was sitting on a table.

"Id rather be eating your cold potatoes", Corey whispered. I checked the basement top to bottom, Corey followed me closely.

We made our way upstairs and sat at the table. "Okay, you heard it, I heard it, what was that screaming", I asked. Corey sighed and leaned over the table to me, "I think you house....it's like....I don't know. Haunted?" My tangled ideas and worry straightened out. "Cor....", I started, "I don't know anymore."

He got a spoonful of the potatoes.

"Cold potatoes?"