Chapter 36

Greetings and sorry it took me so long to update! How are you? Done anything interesting lately? Have any of you seen Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them yet?

"Wait. What?" I said, eyes wide.

"You're JOKING!" Fred Weasley hollered. The Hall suddenly burst into laughter.

"I'm not joking, Mr. Weasley." said Dumbledore, "though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the Summer about a troll, a hog, and a leprechaun who all went into a bar."

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat loudly.

"But perhaps this is not the time." said Dumbledore, "Where was I? Ah yes, the Triwizard Tournament...well, some of you may not know what this tournament involves, so I hope those who do know will forgive me for this short explanation, and allow their attention to wander freely.

"The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry: Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, and the three champions competed in three magical tasks. The schools took it in turns to host the tournament once every five years, and it was generally agreed to be a most excellent way of establishing ties between young witches and wizards of different nationalities - until, that it, the death toll mounted so high that the tournament was discontinued."

"Death toll?" Hermione whispered, an alarmed look on her face.

"Well, that sounds just dandy, doesn't it?" I said with every intent of sarcasm, "Let's bring back a tournament that was cancelled because a bunch of kids died. Bloody great idea, that is."

Despite Hermione and I's clear distaste for a tournament filled with danger and DEATH, everyone else in the school seemed rather excited. I guess they didn't hear the part where the headmaster said PEOPLE DIED.

"There have been several attempts to reinstate the tournament over the centuries," Dumbledore continued, "none of which have been very successful." I wonder why. "However, our own departments of International Magical Corporation and Magical Games and Sports the time is ripe for another attempt. We have worked hard over the Summer to ensure that this time, no champion will find his or herself in mortal danger."

Ha. ha. ha. They are aware Harry Potter goes here, right?  His full name is literally Harsassy I'm-Always-In-Mortal-Danger Potter!

"The heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their short-listed contenders in October, and the selection of the three champions will take place at Halloween. An impartial judge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a thousand galleons personal prize money!"

"I'm going for it!" Fred announced.

Freddie wasn't the only one who seemed to want to be the champion for Hogwarts.  It looked as though every student at every table was eager to be chosen (besides for Hermione and I).

"Though I know all of you are eager to bring the Triwizard cup to Hogwarts," Professor Dumbledore explained, "the heads of the participating schools, along with the Ministry of Magic, have agreed to impose an age restriction on the contenders this year. Only students who are of age - that is to say, seventeen years of older - will be allowed to put their names for consideration. This-" Dumbledore was forced to raise his voice, for many of the students started making noises out of pure outrage, "-is a measure we feel necessary, given the tournament tasks will be difficult and dangerous, and it is highly unlikely that students below the sixth and seventh year will be able to cope with them. I will personally be ensuring that no underage student hoodwinks our impartial judge into making them Hogwarts champion." Dumbledore's eyes flickered towards Fred and George, "I therefore beg you not to waster your time if you are under seventeen years if age.