Chapter 1: Next Don

A/N: First chapter! This is my first time writing BxB so please don't judge, hope people enjoy and thanks for reading!!

The man's hand reached down to initiate Alden's posture. He immediately bent down on his knees, back straight, and eyes pinned in front without any hesitation. Taking the back of a blade and kneading it through fire, the man mouthed words to Alden as if providing false comfort.

Alden turned, his green eyes on mine- but I could only offer a weak smile in return.

"I now bestow Alden Worrick, the family emblem." Finishing his sentence, the man dug into Alden's skin with the heated blade- slowly and painfully.

According to tradition the family's emblem will be carved onto the successor's body for proof of their responsibility and commitment.

They call it honoring the family's name.

I call it useless pain.

Just as Alden's eyes began watering, he gripped his knees and muffled his screams; still he held his back straight and head forward.

The jaws in my cheeks felt flushed as I clenched them tightly together; glancing at the elders they simply watched as the ceremony continued.

Then again, it's probably not new to them.

But to us it was new. It was also agonizing and tedious. But it's the ceremony where you have to be apart of to be accepted in the familia.

Alden is just different.

When new books claim their title they have the family name tattooed on their arms or chest.

But Alden needed his embedded on skin, as his position is the next Don.

1987, Milan- Italy

"I thought I told you not to send a bullet through his head" I rambled while following behind Alden. His black tux was draping over his shoulders while his white-collared shirt is tucked in his black pants.

"That's why I didn't, I just lodge two in his chest." He replied before yawning in broad daylight. Heaving out a sigh I continued following him down the red hallway.

I'm still disturbed by the scent of oak trees and lime mixed together under a roof.

The window blinds were unexpectedly open today, with the views of the green garden peering through the glass. Though they are bulletproof, so the glass is a bit murky.

"I'm never gonna win when it comes to arguments against you." I murmured admittingly. Suddenly Alden stopped abruptly in the middle of the hallway, slowly he turned around facing me with this unexpected expression.

Gleaming down were the pair of his emerald eyes and sleek blonde hair- curled over his brows.

"Good Leo." Alden said as he patted my brown hair.

"Excuse me? Did I just hear you mock me Mr. Worrick?" I retorted as I brushed his hand off my head immediately. Bursting out a small chuckle, Alden continued down the hallway.

Relentlessly, I followed behind him no matter how much I wanted to stand in front. Though that's disobeying the Oath

Always follow the Don, current or not. Both metaphorically and literally.

Strolling down the hallway, we took a sharp turn to the left and met a tall white door. Along the wood were golden linings of paint across the corners. Taking a small breath Alden gave a hysteric laugh before announcing,

"Now that you mentioned it. I should have lodge a bullet in the head, though it wouldn't be as fun."

Entering the main hall, the elders and other members of the Famillia stopped their conversation and began paying attention to Alden. They all respectfully nodded and parted a small path to let him through.

In the main hall were still the picture of the Family's first Don. Painted and framed in gold before  being plastered up in the back wall. Surrounded, were a pale creamed wallpaper that became a well known trait in the mansion. However, the more profound features were the guests. Twelve members of the twelve districts in Italy- ranging from a tall malicious man to a pudgy middle-age man.

But we were still missing one guest.

The fourteenth Don.

A heavy, unspoken atmosphere spread throughout the main hall as the sound of a cane and heels tapped against the wooden floor.

It grew closer, and closer before the sound is one with the emitter. Before the entrance was a man of mid 50s. His face stern and wicked but his posture slightly crooked as he walked with a golden, eagle cane

Men started stepping to one side and made sure to slightly bow their head as the predecessor Don made his way towards the center.

Of course, Alden and I both bowed our heads respectively too.

But we both hated him.

No. More like everybody hated him.

But according to the Oath, you must pay your respects to the Don: regardless.

As soon as he laid eyes on Alden, both men shared the same expression.

An expression of coldness that's mixed together with hatred before being presented onto their faces. But countering towards Alden's traits, the old Don shared different features of sleek white- hair folding behind his forehead, and grey eyes as stern as steel.

Both men shared the same flattering smile towards their adversaries, but deadly enough to bring one down to their knees.

The atmosphere could only grow heavier as these men are together.

That's why I hate the annual incontro.

A/N: Books- henchmen/underlings

Don- Head mafia boss

Familia- Mafia group.

Incontro: a meeting