Chapter 19: Red

A/N: Happy Reading!

1974- Milan Italy,

The morning was bright. The blinds folded over the windows but a speck of light travelled into the room. Three beds stood uniformly against the wall with three boys tucked inside.

At first I could only see yellow. His hair sticking out from the sheets he buried himself under. Squirming around was the second one, a dark chestnut color moving as he wrapped himself in layers of blankets.

Blurry eyes and red nose as he drowsily climbed out of his covers with a hand rubbing his face.

Following after, were two boys: eyes red and tired just the same.

Near the back, were two interconnected closet that stored most of our clothes. Trotting over, Elliot picked his clothes up before slipping it on.

His outfit was a bit more colorful than usual. A white collared shirt and khaki shorts before being paired with a red tie.

Slipping it on, he struggled with the red fabric hanging loosely around his neck.

"Up...and ove--" The fabric slipped through his fingers.

Walking over, I positioned him near the oval mirror as I stood behind him. Leaning over, I started fixing his tie.

"Here. It's up and over. Up and over. Knot--then pull."

"Thanks, Leo." Elliot replied.

I nodded my head. Then someone else caught my attention.
His figure looming next to the back mirror as his shirt was wrinkled and shorts being plagued with lint. The blue tie hanging over his neck as he struggled to tie it.

"Do you need help?" I asked.

"No, I'm fine." He answered, eyes still glued to the mirror.

....He needed help.

"As I said, up and over. Up and over, knot and then pull."

I ended up fixing his tie. Getting the lint roller, I took off the dust and wrinkles that were scattered across their shirts and pants.

Finally it was the shoes.

But we needed socks first. Pulling out the back drawer, black socks were neatly aligned in the center as each of us slipped on a pair.

Tucking our heels into the back of the shoes, a voice echoed from down stairs.

"Boys! Come down, the guests are almost here!"

"OK!" We called back in unison. Running down the stairs, the creaky boards carried our footsteps with its monogamous sound.

I never knew how much I will miss that sound.

Noon rolled around. The guest gathered at the main house while the three of us stood near the edge of the dining room. Our backs against the wall as flood of people washed in.

Alden stood next to Elliot before I was pressed onto the end. I remember the sound of the wooden floor underneath the people's shoes. The smell of lit cigar and fresh lemons whirled into one room.

Colors of black, red, and blue thrown together on people's outfits as they approached us.

Different people. Different intentions.