Chapter 20: Regret

A/N: This chapter is slightly shorter than most, but I still hope you will enjoy it. Happy reading!!

1987 Milan, Italy

It was morning. I opened my eyes to the distinctive rays as the window blinds were left open. The colors, the shapes--all mended together as I searched for something amidst everything.

But what was left for me was a blurry shape that resembled nothing.

I squinted my eyes. Raising my hand over my face, darkness crept into the corners of my view.

I felt empty.

Feeling bare despite having clothes on.

Feeling broken despite being intact.

I've lost count the amount of time I spent sitting on this mattress, just simply waiting for something.

It felt so distant from me. The mattress was mine but I never spent much time with it. And so, it felt unfamiliar. And the wall--

I was used to it being a white cream embedded onto the surface and now it's a plain white that echoed the same sense of emptiness in the room.

I breathed in. The air moving through my lungs, through my body, before reaching my heart and dispersing again.

And yet, I felt nothing.

Morning came. Meaning it was reality.

I won't be able to slip back into the thoughts that I have created until night comes again.

"Sir." A voice perceived while I faced the desk. My glasses in front of me, but the sights all merged together as I ordered the papers.

"Sir?" I tilted my head.

The voice came from a man that was blocked by the door. A knock followed after the sound but I didn't even realize it.

"Come in." I answered.

The doors sprung open. An image of a male who was shorter than me entered into view. His black hair parted to the right side as he gestured a respectful bow with his hands to his sides.

"Good morning sir." Nico announced.

I nodded towards him. "Anything to report?"

"Yes sir." He paused.

" A representative from the Campbell has reached us today. They wanted to meet and discuss the trading of the firearms from the other day."

"Did they clarify how many cargoes?"

"Sir, around 400 cargoes."

"Did they initiate a date?"

"No sir, they said to choose the date first."

"That's noble of them." I answered.

Nodding his head, Nico cleared his throat as he readjusted the tie around his neck. Gesturing towards the chair, Nico walked over and sat down before I responded in the same way.

With a sleek black uniform, his eyes of blue stands out clearly as he faces me. Brushing part of his hair behind his ear, Nico continued his report as I turned my attention towards him.

"They said to choose a date and then contact the representative. "

My hands curled up beside me. Slightly biting my inner cheeks, I made sure to keep my reaction to a bare minimum. Breathe in. And then breathed out.