Chapter 40: Your reply?

A/N: Hello! Chapter 40!! Finally, I've been waiting to write this chapter! Hope you guys like it! Happy alert, and Happy Reading!!!

1987 Milan, Italy

"The Campbell house?" Alden raised his voice--slightly in a rhetoric manner as well as unexpectancy from the sudden news given to him.

Standing in front of him, I could only nod my head while quietly wet my lips as I breathed in deeply.

The man opposite from me carried the same expression, as if I was looking in a mirror.

His dark brows curled at the edge while his round eyes narrowed and lingered downward.

The tip of his chest puffed out a heavy breath as he crossed his arms. The blonde curls draping over his neck with brushed gel holding their neat form.

His green eyes holding their mystic color as he ran his fingers to the side of his bangs, almost out of irritation.

After a short silence, Alden slightly shook his head as his eyes travelled up to my face.

"Did you think of anything else?" He questioned, heaving out a tired sigh.

I shook my head. "Not much. It just....seemed strange. They could have easily taken us out...but they didn't. Instead, it felt a little too easy on our terms."

Alden flashed a slight look of distress on his face.

The one where his thoughts tangle in his head as he clamped his teeth down on his inner cheek.

But as soon as it appeared, it disappeared.

Leaving behind, the sound of his fingers cracking in his palm as his natural response.

The sound was strangely nostalgic. Along with his irritated tongue clicking against his teeth.
Strangely enough, I found a small grin on my face.

"I expected them to find out about the infiltration, but not this fast. Though, its to be expected since we delayed our exchangement."

He muttered a curse word under his breath.

"So, what's the plan?" I paused.

"He's certainly making it known that he's targeting us now."

As the words left my lips, Alden tilted his head. The look on his face reminded me of one I've seen before.

The edge of his lips curled into a smile with his tooth slightly shining through the revealed corner.

It was a combination of grimace and cocky. But at the same time, it spoke to me his intentions loud and clear.

"Please don't." I spoke as my eyes slightly widened.

"You're not serious right?" I added as I caught his look of a shrewd answer.

Alden simply shrugged his shoulders with his arms still crossed to his chest. The curl of his lips slowly transforming into a grin than a smile.

"Who knows?" He responded. Rhetorically.

"On your birthday of all days?" This time, it was my turn to raise my voice. I mean, even for him--this plan was a bit crazy.

Correction, its insane. Even for his standards.

He cracked a laugh. The one where he was enjoying messing with people heads.

The sound lingering in my ears as he took a few steps forward.
Leaning his head down, Alden purposely stood closer than he usually does as his eyes landed on my face.