Chapter 18: Punishment

A/N: Hello!!! This chapter was really hard to write so I hope you excuse it if it's not up to standards. Anyhow, Happy Reading!!

Alden's mother was the daughter of the current Castro leader; the current family in power of the Castro Familia in Italy. Alden's father on the other hand, was the leader of the Worrick family run in England.

The marriage merged the two families together.

But it was simply a contract.

They barely knew each other. They never looked at each other, and the words exchanged were kept to a bare minimum. It was simply an agreement that had a beneficial twist for both sides.

She would look at Alden with cold green eyes. A pale color with a hollow veil over their structure; using those eyes she would look at Alden, care for him, and live with him.

His father would use a different pair of eyes. A more softer, compassionate green towards both Alden and Elliot. But only towards Elliot did those eyes showed his true emotions.

Alden was always alone.

1987 Milan, Italy

"You killed him."

"You killed Elliot."

His words echoed in my mind. The air trapped inside my lungs as my thoughts were unraveling together. Alden stood there, his thoughts wiped clear from his face as I tried to understand him.

I tried to understand anything.

But I couldn't.

I just stood there motionless.

The air crept between us. A remote silence relying on an attached string that would surely break along with everything. Breaking the silence would break everything.

"Who told y-" I began.

"Just answer me. Did you or did you not?" His voice a stern demand.

His eyes immediately following every word that I formed. A fist balled at his side as he kept it in a tight grip. My eyes ran up and down, through the dust that clung to the glasses' rim; I saw his tattered clothing as his black tie was loosely cut around his neck. His shirt wrinkled and his coat strung in his hand.

"I-"

I held my tongue. Closing my eyes, I resided in the bitter silence again. My muscles tightened, my flesh expanded. A repeated rhythm of the ticking clock reminding me of the darkness that loomed over the room.

A shadow fell over my face as I tried to continue.

"I...... I--could have saved him."

His expression immediately changed. His jaw tightening as he turned his head away from me; the corner of his green eyes flaring in response. They were darkening. Two spheres of green that stared down at me in anger.

I knew that look.

That look he would always use towards his enemies.