Chapter 17: An End

Hello! Long chapter so good luck and Happy Reading!

1987 Milan, Italy

"Coffee?" I asked, handing him a can of caffeine from the canteen. Alden gave me a shortened grin before taking the offer with a "thanks" followed behind it.

Cracking open the can, we both took a few sips of the drink before leaning back against the bench.
We sat down on the wooden bench near the entrance of the building. The air a bit humid with the light dimming near the end of the day while the quiet atmosphere creating a distant feel that was both comforting, but also uneasy.

The orange ball in front of us falling behind the buildings as the silent air continued.

A creaking sound of wheels echoed in the background. An old couple of a man and woman walked past us; his hand tucked on the handle as he pushed the woman down the pathway laid out by concrete. A short exchanged happened as the pair glanced at us.

Our hands tucked by our sides.

Our seat a bit distant from each other.

They gave us a greeting before carrying on with his hand in hers.

Slowly, the sound of the wheels faded.

"What did the doctor say?" I decided to question.

Placing down the half empty can on the bench; a solemn sigh escaped him as he hunched forward and crossed his arms.

"She's out of the woods. But, for now her condition is still unstable." He paused.

"They're still monitoring her."

I placed my can down on the bench's side. Turning my attention towards him, I slid a hand on his-- the one behind his back.

He coughed up a smile. But a solemn and grey expression overtook his face. The green in his eyes now a dim glow while his skin appeared a bit tired and degenerated.

But you had to look carefully to tell.

Alden had a way of hiding these things.

The air of silence perceived once again. This time it was a soothing effect; an empty space but it simply kept our thoughts wrapped around a sense of belief.

It was just simply there.

Suddenly, my mind flashed to realization. A piece of news still sat in my head that I needed to explain.
Glancing around, there were only the old couple that lingered near the area.

"Alden, we found William Houlford." I explained softly.

His reaction was timid. But slowly, he leaned back in the chair before taking a sip of the drink by the bench's arm.

"Continue."

"There's a high bounty on his head. All the familia are looking for him, mostly for the same reason."

His brows creased together. A sense of curiosity fell over him.

"What did he do?"