Chapter 2: Special

A/N: Here's chapter two, happy reading!

At age eight; Alden, me, and even Elliot were forced to witness an execution. The sound of whipping and ripped skin entangled into the air with an echoing sound. Bloodied and gashing with wounds, the man's muffled scream were hidden by his gritted teeth.

The man was barely in his 20s. Young, buff, and disobedient- he was what people called a traitor. The famillia does not tolerate traitors, so they publicly executed him.

The three of us stared as three bullet rounds entered the man's head. In a matter of two seconds his wound bleeded out leaving the man lifeless.

That night Alden cried.

Cried till his eyes reddened and throat choked. Elliot hid under the sheets in the dark.

I crawled in my bed with my eyes still burning with the image of the man's body.

That was our first experience with death.

"I've taken care of the rats in the 3rd district, but apparently some more are still coming." A man snarked with his right hand bringing a cup of wine near his lips. His hair and face both smothered in oil with a grey tux to boost.

"Some rats have appeared in my territory too, but my men sent a welcome since they're new in town." Another man replied, his right scar jerking on his cheek as his mouth moved.

Lingering after their little speech were redundant sounds of chewing and sipping of drinks. My eyes wandered over to Alden as he continued his indulgment in his glass of wine while brushing back his gold locks.

"So. You got rids of the rats. What about the mother, have any leads?" Alden unexpectedly spoke, delivering in his tone a hidden meaning.

Their reaction was silence.

Not a good one if your Don is asking you a question.

"I asked a question." Alden pressed, stabbing his fork into a piece of meat- the sound of the metal utensil slamming against the plate sent chills down people's backs.

"They wouldn't talk. We've tried breaking their mouths but they wouldn't budge." One man interrupted the impeccable silence.

I commend his bravery, but he just sent himself a one way trip. I could tell Alden wasn't in good mood.

"So you're sitting here, telling me you've tried breaking a bunch of rat's mouth and failed? I thought leaders of the twelve districts had more balls, but I guess you're just all that."

No one retaliated.

No one blinked.

It was just empty silence in the room, but of course there is still that one person in the room.

"Alden. You handle this case. Seeing you're so eager and that none of our twelve members seem capable of the task, I should expect good news from you soon?" The previous Don stated a rhetorical question.

Alden spared a sideway glance toward me and then the previous Don before answering

"Yes sir." His green eyes flickered in disagreement, but he couldn't refuse the order. No one could.

It's a rule that everyone follows.

"Good. Anymore reports?" The previous Don carried on the conversation. The mood ever so slightly lightened, people began eating and drinking again, but this time grew wary of both Dons in the room.

The incontro continued for an hour or two longer. The twelve members of the districts continued reporting- mostly good things about their districts, after that encounter they tried to be under the radar as much as possible.

But here and there I would catch glimpses of people in the room. Mostly out of distort than curiosity.

Though I have grew accustomed, I was merely an underboss (more like exaggerated capo) my place is not at this table- more or less this seat.

A table of district members and Dons.

I don't belong here.

On the way home, I sat in the back along with Alden in the leather seat. I stared outside the car's windows as we passed the streets and shops along the way. My rigid chin sat inside my palm against the armrest as I leaned in the seat.

"You're unbelievably quiet today." Alden abruptly said.

"And that doesn't suit your taste, sire?" I replied, my voice a bit prickly.

"Woah, feisty though I expect no less from Leo Cavalcanti. Leaning in closer his face inches away from skin; his breath began to trace over my features as his lips lowered and almost grazed my lips' surface.

Planting a peck on my lips, our kisses escalated quickly. But of course we made sure to avoid the windows and the driver's views.

I forgot to mention.

Our relationship is a bit special.

Just as Alden drew a breath I ran my fingers through his blonde hair and watched his emerald eyes. Suddenly the smell of sweet-burnt meat and desirable butter seeped into the car. A small grin formed across his cheeks that revealed one-tiny but noticeable dimple.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" He asked innocently.

I chuckled at his comment.

"Let's get some steak, my stomach couldn't digest that meal."

A/N: Underboss: command under the boss

Capo: a 'crew/group' leader