Jon Snow - "I've seen the way you look at me when you think I don't notice."

You grabbed the empty plate from his desk and stood still in front of the Lord Commander. You had never dared to speak to him, but you had spent that much time staring at him that you would have been able to draw him from your memory if you had had any artistic talent.

"Miss (Y/L/N)?" Jon looked up from his paperwork. He was young, way too young for a function like this one, way too young to carry the weight of the protection of the wall on his shoulders.

"Yes, my lord?" You lifted your chin and straightened your back. Only a couple of weeks ago the men of the night's watch had found you and you had not dared to ask them when they were planning on sending you away. You had thought that maybe if you would work hard and wouldn't cause any trouble they would even allow you to stay.

"I've been looking for a place for you to go to." He cleared his throat and he swallowed. "I've sent letters to several acquaintances of mine and today I have finally received a positive answer." His lips were forming a straight line and you noticed how he had his fingers curled up.

"Where are you sending me, my lord?" You stuttered and you bent your head to avoid his glance. Your heart was beating in your chest and there were countless words stuck in your throat. You knew that speaking those words could lead to a lot of unwanted outcomes.

"One of my father's..." Jon started his sentence, but his words were barely a whisper. "One of..." His voice sounded strange, as if it wasn't Jon speaking, as if it was someone else speaking. "I'm sorry." He bent his head. His black curls were tied together in a bun and he took a few deep breaths. "I have to send you away, but I do hope you know there is not a part of me that likes the thought of letting you go." He looked up again. He looked even more boyish now than he had already done and you licked your dry lips. "And I like to believe that you don't want to be sent away either."

You shook your head and the palms of your hands started sweating. You shifted your weight from one leg to the other, but your hammering heart in your chest could be heard by anyone in the luckily empty office.

"I've seen the way you look at me when you think I don't notice." Jon took a deep breath and he stood up from his seat to slowly walk around his desk. He stretched out his arm to touch your burning cheek with the back of his hand and his eyes locked with yours for an everlasting moment. "I'm the commander of the night's watch." His chest was moving up and down and the vein in his neck was visibly beating. "I can't allow myself to return your feelings."

"And if you wouldn't have been commander of the night's watch?" You felt your skin tingling and your entire body was trembling.

Jon didn't answer. He didn't answer but kept on staring at you as if he was trying to debate whether or not risking his position and reputation was worth it. Eventually he cupped your face and leaned towards you. "I would try anything to be the one to win your heart." He kissed your lips and you closed your eyes to enjoy the moment to the fullest for as long as it would last.