Jon Snow - "I love you, that's my reason"

You took a deep breath while you tried to steady your hand and kept your eyes focussed on the improvised target you had attached to the door. You were not as talented as you had hoped you would be, but with each day that passed you noticed how you were slowly improving.

The arrow flew towards it's target right when the door was opened and Jon could step aside right before the arrow would have pierced his shoulder. "Are you trying to kill me? Again?" Jon looked at the arrow that had pierced the wall behind him. "I didn't know you had the ambition to become an archer?" He frowned his eyebrows while he locked his glance with yours. "If you had asked, I could have taught you myself."

You bent your head and stared at the wooden floor beneath your feet while you tucked a strand of hair behind your ear. "I assumed that as the new King in the North you had better things to do than teaching me how to use a bow and arrow." You walked past him to gather your arrow again and carefully you placed it with the bow on your night stand.

"I have gotten more obligations than I've ever asked for." Jon let out a deep sigh and he shifted his weight from one leg to the other. "I've never asked to be King. I've never asked to rule the north." He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. He was still wearing the frown on his forehead that you had never seen him without. "I just want to win the great war." He licked his lips and then he looked up at you once more.

"If you want to win this great war, you need an army. I can't think of a better way to get one." You reached for his hand and your fingers rubbed his knuckles. "You were the one who won the battle of the bastards, Jon. If you tell them that there is a much bigger war to fight, I'm sure they will fight with you." You swallowed and paused for a moment. "There is no one I would rather follow into a battle, at least."

"Is that why you're doing this?" Jon nodded at the bow and the arrow on the nightstand. "Are you training to fight with me in the big war?" He didn't give you the chance to answer. "That's not going to happen. You are not going anywhere near the battlefield." His lips were forming a straight line and as quickly as you could you pulled back your hands.

"But you said it yourself!" You raised your voice a little, your chest was moving up and down rapidly and your heart was racing. "You need everyone you can get, men and women. Give me one good reason why I'm not allowed to help like everyone else?" You crossed your arms over your chest and for an awfully long moment there was nothing but silence.

Jon's voice was barely a whisper when he eventually managed to find the right words. "I love you, that's my reason. I can't stand the thought of you on the battlefield, especially not on one where many people will lose their lives." He bent his head and avoided your glance and you squeezed your eyes while you stared at him, waiting for him to tell you that this was a joke, that he had not developed feelings for you. But he didn't say it. He didn't say anything anymore.

"I'm not a vulnerable, delicate flower, Jon." You shook your head and this time he was the one reaching for your hands. "I can take care of myself and if you can survive this war, so can I." You looked up at him and Jon's eyes rested on you, as if he was thinking about your words.

"My decision is final." Jon cleared his throat and raised his voice. "As King in the North I forbid you..."

"Don't do this, Jon." You hurried to interrupted him. "One more word and I'll punch you. You can not abuse your position as King in the North to keep me from doing something you make everyone else do by using that same power." You felt how his grip on your hands tightened. "And I'm not going to stay at home without knowing if you will ever come back." You leaned in and your lips touched his. "We will fight side by side. And it doesn't matter if we'll win or lose. But we'll do it together."