Her Silenced Voice *ch. 25*

I sat in front of the vanity mirror.

"It might not seem like it but, your mom really cares for you," my translator said. Her name was Luka. And she had a personality similar to Haruhi.

'You're just saying that because she pays you,' I signed playfully.

"Of course I would," She laughed, taking a comb and brushed through my hair. Like Kai and Jake. She sighed, "You should see the things she tries to protect you from,"

I looked up at her. What does Mother hide from me?

She laughed, "Oh no, you're not getting to me with those eyes. Don't worry it's nothing bad and scandalous,"

I nodded in the mirror. I smiled. Inside my heart, everything was in turmoil. everything. All except that one feeling. I know that if it was my mother, she would watch out for me.

When she put the comb down, she let my waves fall down my bare back. I wore a burgundy halter dress that dipped slightly in the back. My heels were black and I had black tear drop pearl earrings.

"Ready?" she asked as I got up, smoothing my dress.

'You aren't going to be able to come are you?' I asked.

She smiled softly, taking a lock of my hair and brushed it behind my ears, "You'll be fine,"

I sighed, 'I had guessed you couldn't come. It is a meeting after all,'

She nodded, "Your mother will translate for you,"

I smiled and bit my lips, 'Wish me luck,'

She smiled, her dimples were subtle, "Good luck,"

~

"Over here," our waitress said, guiding us to our reserved table.

It was a really fancy restaurant. The first to be a meeting for me. Tables were set up with a white tablecloth. Three cylindrical candles sat on a square mirror, each candle varied in height, each table varied in color.

At our table, there was a bottle of wine and two males. One who was a business man and next to him was a younger guy. Someone my age. My mother sat next to the business man and I sat next to her.

"I hope we didn't keep you waiting," my mother said.

"It's fine," the business man said, "We were just talking about you and your daughter,"

I looked over to the business son. I smiled, probably the best I could do with no voice.

He smiled charmingly, "Hello," he introduced, "I'm Derrick. You must be Evelyn Oshiro,"

I nodded but the my mother nudged me with her knee, "She goes by Evelyn Worthy now," My mother said, patting my hands, "It's a habit we both would like to happen. We would appreciate your courtesy, Mr. Sugi,"

l looked up to Derrick. He nodded, "Excuse me, I was use to seeing you as Oshiro at school so....please accept my apology,"

I had to look away.

After a while, we ordered our food and had a long conversation, or well my mom and the two of them, about our business.

Then while I sipped on the wine, Derrick's father brought up something that hasn't crossed my mind yet.

"Your daughter is of age," He said, carrying along even though this one sentence revealed a lot to me.

"What do you mean?" My mother asked.

"Your daughter is of age to become wedded. If you were to be in a pinch you could always make a contract with them. An arranged marriage. It's quite common,"

"Are you suggesting something, Mr. Sugi?" My mom asked.

Mr. Sugi chuckled slightly, "I'm not suggesting anything. Just the mere fact that she is of age. And that you are in a pinch with my company,"

I looked over from Mr. Sugi to Derrick. He was turning as red as a tomato. "Dad," he said.

I turned to Mom. She face seemed slightly annoyed.

"Here is your food, sorry for the wait," our waitress said.

I nodded with a smile as she set my plate down.

"It's just a pinch Mrs. Worthy," Derrick said, "We should resolve it here,"

My mom seem to relax.

After that, the rest of the night went as according and we resolved any problems regarding the companies.

But when we got home, Mom held me at a distance. Not literally, but she hadn't attempted to make conversation with me the entire time. When we got home, she left to her room and I to mine.

I curled up on my bed.

What was wrong with Mom?