Her Silenced Voice *ch. 29*

I woke up, bright lights were overhead. For a minute, I thought I was in the hospital again but I realized, there was no scent of disinfectants or cleaners. I was somewhere else.

Sitting up quickly, I became dizzy. Disregarding the fact that black dots obscured my vision, I stumbled to the door, knowing they would clear away.

Opening the door, I bumped into someone and pushed them back. Doctors can scold me all they want. Pearson....What happened to him? But suddenly, I was lifted, an arm wrapped around my stomach.

"Evelyn," I turned around to see Kyoya.

"Kyoya," I said silently, slightly shocked.

I looked around the hall, I didn't see anyone.

'Where is Pearson?' I signed.

"Evelyn," He said, "I need you to calm down,"

I wanted to scream, to shout. But what would that lead to? I couldn't speak there wasn't any point in giving frustrated signs. Even after all this time....I was useless.

With my voice and without it, I was hopeless. A lost cause. I couldn't even protect Pearson.

Pushing him away, he grabbed my arm, "Evelyn," he said, "Pearson's okay,"

Relief sank in and I stopped wrestling.

'What happened?' I signed.

"Ace jumped in after you. You had scratches and cuts, but none of them require anything major," he said. There was a pause, "I should go get everyone,"

I grabbed his arm and shook my head fervently.

"No?" He asked, he stopped, "Okay, then we can talk,"

~

"So, you left.....because you thought you would be useful," Kyoya asked, "Ace and Haruhi thought so but we never realized. If you'd let us apologize,"

I shook my head, 'I don't want an apology,'

"Well, you're going to get them regardless,"

'Probably,' I signed, 'But, I also want forgiveness. For being such a terrible person,"

"You're going to get that regardless too," Kyoya added.

I nodded, seeming to already understand that. Kyoya shifted, "Come over here,"

I got up and sat next to him.

He seem uneasy.

"I...." he started, "plan on having you back in school,"

'What?' I signed.

"I've talked to your mother," he said.

'And what did she say?' I asked through my hands.

"She said no. But, I'm not going to stop there," he said.

I clasped his hands, 'Thank you so much,'

"Evelyn!" Jake burst in.

I threw Kyoya's hands away and looked towards the ground, embarrassed. But surely, Jake wouldn't have misunderstood.

"I- What were you two doing?"

"She was thanking me," Kyoya said simply.

I got up and threw my arms around Jake. How long has it been since I've been held in these arms?

He squeezed me and for a moment an empathy passed between us.

"I'm here," was all he said.

When we broke the hug, he gave me a scornful expression. The one he would always give me when I did something wrong. It made me feel silly and childish. It was the voice he used when Ace wasn't around to say it.