Chapter 3

Valerie didn't need an alarm or a wakeup call to be up with the sun every morning. Her body seemed to know that it could only take the minimum amount of sleep it needed before sending her back to the endless string of tasks that awaited her every day.

As usual, she checked in with Chisisi first. She opened a drawer that had an ancient, handheld tape recorder and concentrated. Instantly, she was inside the outdated electronics shop in Japan where Chisisi was currently running the operations of the Guardians of the Boundary on Earth.

Thai was bent over a laptop with Chisisi, and the two were deep in discussion. Valerie cursed her traitorous heart for leaping at the sight of Thai's broad shoulders.

"Any attacks over the night?" Valerie asked, deciding to get in and out as fast as possible.

Thai turned and flashed her a smile that made her cheeks heat up in spite of herself.

"It was calm, for a change," Thai said.

Chisisi was still staring at the screen. "Your Thai has developed an interesting program to analyze the locations of the Fractus's attacks. It is proving most helpful in identifying where they will strike next."

"They're searching for something pretty systematically," Thai explained. "I think we can all guess what."

"The charm that's repressing magic on Earth, right?" Valerie asked.

"Young miss has the right of it," Chisisi said, turning at last. His eyes were shadowed from fatigue. He'd been working tirelessly to stop the Fractus since the death of his brother, and it was taking a toll.

"It's not going to be easy for us to find it before the Fractus do. There's way more of them than us," Thai said.

Valerie unconsciously rubbed her temples, where a headache was already forming. "At least when they're searching, they're less likely to be attacking humans."

Chisisi's phone rang, and he answered it.

"Yes," he said, his tone clipped. He listened, his body absolutely still. "I am on hand to help if you need it."

Chisisi hung up. "I'm going to Dubai. A battle is brewing there between the Fractus and my people."

"Send me instead," Valerie said.

"Send us," Thai corrected. "You need sleep, Chisisi."

He briefly touched the older man on his back, and Valerie could see the gentle affection in the gesture. Before Chisisi could respond, Valerie was blasted with a wave of pure panic from Henry's mind. Henry so rarely completely opened himself to her anymore that Valerie stumbled, and would have fallen if Thai hadn't caught her elbow.

"Henry needs help!" she said. Her vision cleared. "I'm sorry, Chisisi, but I have to go to him."

"Go, young ones. I will see to the Fractus in Dubai."

Thai gripped her hand, and they were back in Valerie's garden.

"Not here. The Society of Imaginary Friends. I'll meet you there," Valerie said, and took off at full speed, letting her magic power her legs.

But Thai was still holding her hand, and somehow he kept up, even though she was running so fast that the trees were a blur in her peripheral vision.

They didn't stop until they burst through the doors of the Guild. Standing in the middle of the playful, colorful center of the room was Zunya, surrounded by two-dozen of the boys from Jack's old gang of friends whom he'd given the ability to absorb magic.