Chapter 17

It was good to be in her own home again, even if it was an empty one. Without Dulcea stopping by to deliver treats and general cheer, Cyrus to break the tension with his humor, Gideon to keep her centered, or Kanti's practical support, the atmosphere was relentlessly grim.

Henry stayed in his room, and from the occasional glimpses into his mind, Valerie knew that he was battling his own demons. Thai spent long hours at the Healers' Guild, as wounded soldiers of the Fist poured in, starting with injured Grand Masters who'd escaped Reaper's attack at the Capitol.

Valerie split her attention between organizing the forces on the Globe with Skye and battling the Fractus on Earth.

After a long, fruitless day chasing down clues about the charm binding magic on Earth, Valerie stopped in Egypt to talk to Chisisi for her daily update.

Using a handful of sand that she carried with her in a little bag, she projected to a patch of land near the safe house where Chisisi was currently based. The safe house door was ajar, as Chisisi usually left it at this time of day so she could enter.

She went inside and spun the wheel on the door so that it locked tightly. Chisisi was eating dinner and reading an old text at the same time, but he put both things down when he saw her.

"I have news of an alarming nature," he said, and Valerie tensed up. "Your young friend Ming was attacked today, but Dr. Freeman arrived with the police in time to save her."

"Then it must not have been Zunya who came for her, or she'd be gone," Valerie said. "But next time it will be."

Chisisi nodded grimly. "Reaper wants to possess something you hold dear."

"Or destroy someone I hold dear," Valerie said. "He knows that I won't turn to his side, so he wants to cripple me with grief. I can't lose anyone else."

Her grief overwhelmed her, hitting her in her chest. She yearned for her father the most in that moment, and almost choked at the knowledge that she'd never see him again.

Chisisi had never hugged her before, but he did then. His own eyes were full of tears when he pulled back.

"We will not let them have her," he said fiercely. "We will assign a bodyguard."

Valerie pulled herself together, stuffing her pain back in the box in her mind where she kept it.

"Yes, a bodyguard. Maybe we can use this to our advantage. If Reaper is determined to take Ming, he'll send Zunya next. We'll be waiting for him. This will be our chance to take out Reaper's most powerful ally."

Chisisi considered her words. "We need someone who can be by her side at all times, but will not alert the Fractus to his presence."

"Chrome," Valerie said. "He won't like the assignment, but he'll do it when I tell him he'll have the chance to fight Zunya. He'll detect Zunya's vampyre magic in time to call for reinforcements."

"Young miss is wise. But it would be best if you asked the wolf yourself. He grows ever wilder," Chisisi said.

"Where can I find him?"

Chrome was rolling around like a puppy in the soft green grass of a hill in Ireland, evoking the first genuine smile Valerie had had in a long time. He was nothing like the bloodthirsty picture Chisisi had painted.

The wolf trotted up to her, and Valerie saw that he was leaner than when she'd seen him last, and his coat had even more gray in it.

Chrome sent a reel of images to her mind of the battles he'd fought with Sanguina over the past weeks. Every drop of blood he'd drawn was remembered with relish, and Valerie shivered. For the first time, Chrome's sharp-toothed grin scared her.