Chapter 18

The days blurred into weeks as fighting escalated on Earth. When Valerie heard that a group of Fractus was entering the Pantheon in Rome, she didn't suspect that they would be different from the dozens of Fractus she'd been battling day after day in their search for clues to how to break the rules binding Earth's magic.

Chisisi reported that five Fractus had been seen entering the monument, so Valerie decided not to tackle them alone. She brought Alex and Olwain, Knights of her guild who had stood by her side from her first battle against the Fractus.

They passed through the enormous pillars at the front of the Pantheon and entered through the massive front doors with a crowd of tourists. Valerie scanned the massive, circular room. The ceiling was a dome with a hole in the middle that let light in.

It was quickly apparent that the Fractus were making no attempt to blend in with the crowd. They studied the floor, sometimes bending down to trace the pattern in it.

Valerie recognized Logan, Thai's ex, right away, even though she'd cut her beautiful hair short. Valerie fought the urge to run over and unleash her powers on the girl who'd held Henry's father while Zunya murdered him. Two of the other Fractus looked familiar, as well.

"What are they doing?" Alex asked, sliding her hand into her jacket, where Valerie knew she kept a dagger that Cyrus had imbued with his new light treatment.

"See that woman tapping the circle on the ground over there?" Valerie asked. "I think her name is Toma, and she's got the ability to use electricity to mess with anything electronic."

"That's not going to do her a lot of good in here," Olwain said.

"She can also throw lightning. The other woman is Logan, and her hands and feet can secrete poison, like a frog," Valerie added. "I don't recognize the other three guys. Do you?"

Alex nodded. "I fought them when Zunya attacked us at the playground last year when we were recovering the Byway. They were guarding him."

"I remember them now, too," Olwain said. "They've got the speed and strength of leopards, which is why their magic isn't completely incompatible with Earth's rules. No match for us if we were on the Globe, but here we'll have to watch out."

"Let's wait and capture them somewhere less public so we don't put any humans in danger," Valerie said.

The words were barely out of her mouth when Logan shoved a man who was trying to usher the group away from where they were standing. He fell to the ground, gripping his chest. Security guards came running, and the five Fractus formed a loose circle, ready to fight.

"So much for waiting," Alex said.

"You two fought the leopard guys before, so take them. I'll handle Logan and Toma," Valerie said.

By the time they reached the Fractus, three guards were lying on the ground, and people were starting to back away from the scene.

"I suggest you run," Logan said loudly.

People didn't wait to hear more. They turned and began pushing their way out toward the front doors, the only exit.

Valerie landed a sharp punch to Logan's cheek, which leveled her. But the blow made her stagger, so Toma was able to touch Valerie's arm, sending electricity zinging through her body. Even with her magic flowing as much as Earth's rules would allow, Valerie went down, temporarily paralyzed.

Toma took full advantage, kicking her hard in the temple, but it didn't keep Valerie down for long. As she sprang to her feet, she saw Toma glance toward the exit with longing.